#1 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hello
How is everyone getting on with hibernating there torts in there outside home?my torts have been in there home now for ten weeks and managing to keep temps around 4c at the moment with using a tubular heater,thinking of getting them up soon even though the weather is bad as i have only managed to check on Humpty and H once could not get to Becky.I will be able to warm there house up and keep the door shut for the day time while the weather is bad and if temps drop too low with there heater i could bring them in just for the night time.
Jaynex

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hello Jayne, all mine are still totally under the soil in both Tort Lodge and the Conservatory extension. The only exception is Boy Pebble who was excavated up as Martha went down. He stayed asleep and is so far ok.
Our temps are fluctuating between 3 and 5 degrees in the conservatory and pretty stable at 5 degrees in Tort Lodge. The heaters click on when temps drop below 5 so I am happy with that.
I am checking them daily now, mostly because of the freezing conditions, and there has been no movement.
Is there any benefit in disturbing them, this is the first year I have hibernated 'au natural' so guess it is a learning curve for me x x. Hugs x x

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hi Jayne,
If temps drop too low outside it would probably be a good idea to bring them indoors and keep them in a location were temps are between 1C-8C.
Billiejo is in the garage at the moment and I have added more insulation and some thick carpet to her hibernation box. Fingers crossed the freezing weather ends soon. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hello Stella
tort lodge sounds like torthall,temps are keeping nice and stable this year as we improved the insulation to the roof and the back of the house so its been a much easier hibernation with stable temps,how long are you planning on keeping yours in hibernation?
Hello Freddy
how long are you keeping Billijo in hibernation?,i will be glad when all this snow has gone,i have been clearing snow today so tired,blisters on hands,so looking forward to some nice weather.
Jaynex

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hi Jayne,
I'm planning to keep Billiejo in hibernation until March. I'm sure you will be glad when Humpty, Becky and H are up and about. I wish you the best of luck with them. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Hello Stella
tort lodge sounds like torthall,temps are keeping nice and stable this year as we improved the insulation to the roof and the back of the house so its been a much easier hibernation with stable temps,how long are you planning on keeping yours in hibernation?
Hello Freddy
how long are you keeping Billijo in hibernation?,i will be glad when all this snow has gone,i have been clearing snow today so tired,blisters on hands,so looking forward to some nice weather.
Jaynex

if they,ve got the weather right its going to get a little warmer over the weekend with lots of rain, then hopefully the snow will go :)

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

It is a bit tricky to know when to get the torts up.... They all went down at different times.... And ideally I would like them to get up themselves. I was thinking about increasing the heat in a couple of weeks to gently warm things up... But as has been said, the weather may get warmer so it will probably save me a job x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users