Photo
- - - - -

Is Tilly Big Enough For A Daytime Outside Run This Summer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hi all as u remember i had tilly tingers last september, she has been up all winter, and after a few very sluggish weeks shes now trundling about happily, she's put bit of weight on over winter but not too much, she seems quite happy, shes still only 7.5 cm, and weighs bout 130g but i want to make her a nice exciting enclosure outside but worried she may end up as cat fodder to one of my neighbours cats, once weather pics up i wanted to get started as i have it all planned in my head xxx

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hello
An enclosure with some chicken wire or mesh netting on top would be okay to keep predators away,there are some great outside enclosures in the oudoor section which can give you some ideas how to make,i cover my enclosures when i'm not about with mesh netting wired onto bamboo canes which is great as i can roll it away after.
Jaynex

#3 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hi Jessy, definitely a good idea your tort can get some proper sun :sun: assuming we have some this year :rolleyes:

As Jay said, just make sure you have a wire mesh lid, the cats may not only bother Tilly, they may just decided to use her run as a litter tray :shocked: Birds of prey, foxes need to be kept out as well.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

hi jessy i agree with jayne and chris that its best for your tortoise to be outside in warmer weather.
you just need to make sure the enclosure is secure enough so nothing can get in and also tilly car,nt get out. :)

#5 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Great I think we going to get a wooden sand pit with mesh over for this year and put some holes in for drainage then expand on that as and when required.....( with soil plants and shelter obviously) thanks all x

#6 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hi Jayne I also live in Walsall!

#7 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

http://www.argos.co....>FLOWER BED.htm

Looks like we going to go for 2 of these stacked ontop of each other, we got her a house already, and my boyfriend going to make her a perspex house for the other end for sunning her self, then will make her the start of a tunnel in middle with a slab and some bricks covered in dirt and grass x one spoilt tortie i do think, bit of log roll, cotswold stone and a slab, will finish off and my shelled warriors seed packs are on order x

#8 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hello
looking forward to seeing pictures of your new enclosure,by the way we bought a ridge tile from a reclamation yard and it makes a great tunnel and cheap.
Jaynex

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

hi jessy looking forward to seeing pictures when you have it finished. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users