Jump to content


Photo

Hibernation Query


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 den2908

den2908

    Tortoise Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hampshire
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

    Denise
    x

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

My 2 year old hermanns ..daphne and mabel are due to come out of the fridge in a weeks time, after spending 8weeks hibernating.
Daphne was 99g when she went in and is now 95g and Mabel was 66g and is now 64g. Im wondering whether to leave them in a bit longer? As its their first hibernation I dont feel very confident about making that decision without asking. :)
Denise

#2 Graham

Graham

    Advanced Tortoise Member

  • VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wales, GB
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Denise, I'm no expert on juvenile torts, but I don't think you've anything to worry about here; indeed, your hibernation has gone text-book fashion, Daphne and Mabel appear to have done really well regarding weight, so I think it's entirely your decision whether to bring them up next week or not. I don't think it's going to make much difference. Personally, I'd go by the temperature on the day; if it's terribly cold and wintery, I can't see any problem with leaving them in another week if you wish to do so.

According to this link, it says that as long as they're doing well, there's no reason why the hibernation period cannot be extended a little:
http://www.thetortoi...bernation04.htm

As I say, I'm no expert; hopefully, another member with more experience than me will be able to advise you a bit better.

In any event, I'm really happy your torts have done so very well, and I'm sure everything will be perfectly ok whichever you decide.

#3 den2908

den2908

    Tortoise Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hampshire
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

    Denise
    x

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Graham - the article was good and I think I might extend for another week.
Denise

#4 Freddy

Freddy

    Advanced Tortoise Member

  • VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:County Cavan, Ireland
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi Denise,
Glad to hear Daphne and Mabel are doing so well. They appear to have lost little weight and all else seems fine.
I agree with Graham and would leave them for another week or so. Best of luck. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 den2908

den2908

    Tortoise Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hampshire
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

    Denise
    x

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thanks Freddy,
Yes Ive decided to do an extra week or two...even though im really missing them now.Thank you for your reply, its reassuring to know that you and Graham think its a good plan of action.
Thanks
Denise :)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users