#1 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hi All

Having a bit of panic!

Jigsaw has been hibernating in the fridge at around 5.8 degrees - all going well since 9/12/12. Checked today, and one of her eyelids seems much darker than the other one, and maybe very slightly swollen. Checked her weight and during he hibernation period she has lost a total of 6 grams. Breathing fine, no nasal discharge.

She poked her head out of the shell, but didn't open her eyes. She moved her head a bit in slow motion. There are no signs of urine or poo. She is back in the fridge now. As she has started to move a little, albeit really slow, should I bring her out of hibernation now, and see how she responds once under a bit of heat or should I leave her in the fridge and make an appointment with the vets and take her straight from the fridge to the vets.

This is her first hibernation and she has been in hibernation for 9 weeks now.

Anne

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hi Anne,
I would take her out of hibernation now and wait until she gradually comes round. Then I would bathe the swollen eye gently, using warm water and cotton wool. This will help open the eye and may clear any possible discharge.
I would then take her to the vets for a post hibernation check-up.
If she has an eye infection, chances are she will probably need antibiotics as her immune system will be quite low at present.
Please let us know how you get on. Best of luck.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hello Anne
Jigsaw has had a good hibernation period of nine weeks so i would do the same as Freddy,let us know how she get's on.
Jaynex

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

hi anne hows jigsaw doing did you get her up. :)

#5 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi All

Just to give you an update on Jigsaw and Puzzle.  They are both fine.  When I took them out of the fridge and put their boxes near the radiator or a couple of hours or so to start to thaw out, they started to move about.  They had a nice warm bath and some florette crispy salad mix with some cucumber, plus a few dandelion leaves.  Jigsaw the smaller one, was fantastic, drinking, eating racing around, enjoying the heat lamp.  Puzzle the larger one, ate a couple of mouthfuls and wanted to sleep.

The next day he had another warm bath and a little more food, but he just buried himself in his substrate, obviously not very happy about being woken up - a bit like one of my teenagers!

Anyway by day three - all back to normal - yay!

Jigsaw's swollen black eye - was nothing I am pleased to say.  When I checked her the next day it wasn't swollen, and on closer inspection it didn't look black at all.  I don't know if it was a trick of the light, but she is fine.   I just panicked......

Thank you all for your advice very much appreciated. :D  :laugh:  :happy2:

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

That's great Anne. Glad it was just a false alarm. Billiejo is due out in a few weeks. Roll on summer!
Best wishes
Freddy

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

hi anne its good to hear jigsaw and puzzle are doing ok. :)

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hello Anne, glad everything is ok.... One of mine Georgia, keeps digging into the soil in Tort Lodge, I think she feels safe there x x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users