6 replies to this topic

#1 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hello!

I've just got a 2 year old Hermann - named Oscar - who's currently living in a Tortoise Table indoors with a grass pellet substrate. He lived on this at the Reptile Shop I bought him from so seemed best to continue to use it.

I'm thinking ahead to the summer after seeing so many amazing enclosures on here. I don't really have the space for a huge enclosure so I was thinking of setting up something small whilst he's still little himself. I was going to use the tray of an old guinea pig cage and create something with plants in different substrates - probably top soil and play sand mix and a few stones and pebbles. I'd probably put the cage top onto the tray to protect him from predators - we have a lot of cats in our area - and of course I'd add a hideaway for him to retreat to.

Will he mind a different substrate indoors to outdoors? Would he prefer sand and soil mix in his indoor table? He does like to burrow into the grass pellets at night to sleep and when we look inside in the mornings he usually only has the very top of his shell showing. Presumably he could still do this in sand and soil?

Thanks for you help everyone. 

Sarah x

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hello Sarah, torts love it outdoors!!! Lots of things to climb on and explore.
In a small enclosure I would certainly make sure there was a lot of soil for digging in, as torts love to dig. I would also place in things for climbing.... Logs, large stones, and places to hide.
If you check out the outdoor run section you will find loads of ideas.
When you see Oscar enjoying his outdoor run you may think that using sterilised top soil may be a better option for his indoor setup x x

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

morning sarah oscar will love been outside in the sun.

as stella has said have a look through the outdoor enclosure section on the forum, it might give you some ideas.

i would  change your substrate in your indoor table to topsoil its alot better substrate for oscar than the grass pellets, theres no need to add sand soil will be just fine he,ll still dig down into the soil on a night as hes doing now, but soil is just more natural. :)

#4 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Morning Karen,

Yes I probably will change his substrate to soil. He eats the pellets I'm currently using so that will be a problem when I come to wind down before hibernation when he shouldn't be eating. I will also pop a few plants in which I can remove before hibernation.

Thanks,

Sarah x

#5 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi sarah,
I'm building my 1st outside enclosure and have been looking at kids outdoor sandpits and raised flower beds xx
Sarah

#6 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hello!

Yes I was looking at sandpits and raised beds too. We have a wooden sandpit in the shed which I was going to get out this spring/summer for my son. I did consider using it for Oscar instead as my son doesn't know about it, but its a bit too shallow for what I have in mind.

Luckily for me my Dad is going to build me something. It will basically look like a wooden trough/flower bed but occasionally it will have a tortoise in it!! I'm stocking up on seeds to plant in the enclosure and in a separate flower bed for all year round food. Just need it to stop raining and being so cold!!

I look forward to putting pictures up.

Sarah xx

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

And we shall look forward to pictures of the development Sarah . X hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users