• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

Hope you don't mind my asking for a bit of advice if I may.

I intended to hibernate Harry for 15 weeks as I gleaned the optimum time was around this. However, since then, I learned that with the more mature torts, (Harry's 45) a week or two longer is better if possible. As his hibernation is going so very well, I'm thinking of leaving him in for a fortnight longer.

Do you think this is the right thing to do, or should I adhere to my original plan of 15?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Personally Graham I would leave him longer. I have two torts just out of a 20 wk hibernation but they went down at the end of September. My torts do it naturally so I am driven by their needs.
I would say if things look ok.. I would be tempted to leave another couple of weeks and review again.
Xxx hugs x x

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Just to add, because it is so cold at the moment I am having to keep them awake. Georgia was well dug in this morning even though their temps are 10 degrees.... Raising them this weekend so thinking the others will be resurfacing x x x hugs x.

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi Graham,
The average length of hibernation for a tortoise Harry's age is 16 weeks. In the wild it is usually 3 months but because of our longer, colder winters 16 weeks is usually seen as a good compromise. As a tortoise ages it is a good idea to shorten the maximum 20 week period. I suspect with the chilly weather we are having another 2 weeks won't do any harm. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hi, everyone, thanks for your advice, it is appreciated.

You are absolutely correct, of course, so I've decided to leave Harry in for another fortnight and assess the situation from there.

Thanks again,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users