4 replies to this topic

#1 Zhilla

Zhilla

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi guys,

Can I ask a couple of questions as I'm still having daily panics about Henry (he's 10)? :)

Firstly, he's got a big piece of shed skin on the back of his neck (it's pretty much the whole of his neck) - its been there since we got him 2 weeks ago - will this cause him any problems if we leave it to come off naturally? If it could cause any problems how long should we leave it? I was thinking of gently encouraging it with a cotton bud - probably when he's in the bath?

Is it normal for tortoises to sleep in the bath? He regularly closes his eyes in the bath and seems to doze off!

How much do torts poop? He got me a bit worried as he did a poop in the bath this morning which was about 3" x 1"! He's only done little bits before. I think he's feeling better for getting it out though. :D

Oh - and does the big long purple pointing thing that he stuck out whilst doing said poop mean Henry is a boy after all?

Thanks! :)
Z

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi, Zhilla,

I'm no expert, but I do think that loose skin should be left to fall off naturally if possible; just like when we have a scab, picking it off before it's ready can result in exposed tissue; I think it's best to let nature take it's course. As for falling asleep in the bath, it's probably where the warm temperature is relaxing him. 

Sounds like Henry had a good empty-out; now that he's being fed properly by yourself his digestive system is adjusting accordingly; I don't think you've anything to worry about here, just so long as it's the right colour and consistency. I think you're doing a grand job with Henry, well done!

Oh, yes, it sounds very much like Henry's a boy going by what you've described; you'll soon find out that the boys are quite fond of flashing their bits given the opportunity! There is a small chance it may have been some exposed rectal tissue if he had a job passing that big poop, it's difficult to say without seeing, but I don't think there's any cause for concern.

I bet Henry's loving his new home and keeper; you've obviously very dedicated. :)

#3 Zhilla

Zhilla

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks Graham - I'll stop panicking for a bit lol :)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hello Zhilla, I agree with all Graham has said, particularly about the shedding of skin, it will come off quite naturally, especially as he begins to explore more and manages to rub against things.
As for his poo.... Again sounds quite normal. A couple of my re homers passed dreadful things. Poor Georgia who had been kept in a Viv on pine chips passed chips and nothing else for a long while. You are doing a great job with Henry x x hugs x.

#5 Zhilla

Zhilla

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Stella. Henry is a lot more active in his table - he seemed to settle in straight away. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users