• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zhilla

Zhilla

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well Henry is now happily at home in his new table - he spent about 30 seconds in his bed before coming out to explore, ate all his dinner, had a bit of a bask and a mooch and went back to bed! :D It's not as big as I'd like but it's about 3 times the size of his old home, and he'll be able to go outside pretty soon with a bit of luck! :)

Attached File  image.jpg   36.91KB   67 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   43.15KB   87 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   50.55KB   75 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   51.29KB   70 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   43.51KB   56 downloads

Cheers, Z

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

He looks happy in his new home Zhilla, you are doing a great job. :)  I was expecting to see topsoil he could dig in on the floor throughout his table, can I ask what the other substrates are that you are using?  It may be the photo, but I see two receptacles which look on the large side for the size of the table and tortoise, one is obviously is drinking water, but it does look a little large for him  and I am unsure of the purpose of square one, as he does seem to have a bit of slate to eat off which is great.

Just my opinion, but I think perhaps a smaller water bowl may be better and have some rocks for him to clamber over.

Did you take him back to the vet, or decide it wasn't necessary. :)

#3 Zhilla

Zhilla

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hiya,

He hasn't been back to the vet - we dropped a giant stool sample off yesterday though!

He's got some chippings in there atm - partly for familiarity as that's what he always had in his viv, and partly to appease hubby who wanted to just use chippings! :S They'll get phased out as I get rocks and logs in there instead ;)

Henry's got a big water bowl (plant pot saucer) so he can climb in it if he wants to, but there's no other receptacle apart from seed trays full of topsoil - I've got some with seeds in to swap in when the plants are big enough. He's also got the giant rock from his viv half buried in topsoil for basking on - he couldn't get on it in his viv as it is too big and too smooth for him to get a grip on to climb!

Henry's done a bit of digging in the topsoil but nowhere near as deep as the bottom of the trays, so I think he'll be ok with trays for now at least - if he reaches the bottom of them I'll have a rethink!

Cheers
Z xx

Edit: Henry's got sphagnum bog moss and a separate heater in his hide too, just keeping it at 20-22*C. The humidity in there is 43% at the mo - does that sound ok? He seems to like it in there, especially considering he didn't have a hide before we got him!

Edited by Zhilla, 28 February 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Henry look's like he's enjoying his new home.

Jaynex

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

hi zhilla henrys new enclosures coming on great. :)

i do agree with chris about having topsoil in all the enclosure, its alot more natural for him.

also i would move the big stone from under the basking lamp as it can get to hot and cause burns to henry. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users