#1 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Fish - Tae Kwon Do

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hi all

We got two 7 month old Hermanns last Sunday.

Ted is quite lively, eating lots and seems quite happy. Bubbles has not eaten as much and spends almost all her time asleep in the corner of the shelter on the tortoise table. She seems to stay out of the light and consequent warmth. When we put her in the light, she stays for a bit then goes off to a corner to sleep. However, when the light goes on, Ted steams into the warmth to bask. IF Bubbles is trying to hibernate? If so - this is a serious problem as she has laid down any fat...

The temperature in the tortoise table averages around 20oC and 28-30oC. I would expect both tortoises to act similarly.

So:

Who is acting normally? Ted or Bubbles?

If I give the tortoises too much warmth / light, will they adapt to going outside in the spring? I'd like to follow forum advice and go for 12 hours of light / and 12 hours without light as that seems to make sense.

Looking forward to your help and views

Martin

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hello and welcome

looking forward to seeing some pictures of Ted and Bubbles,my lights are on 12 hours and then off 12 hours set on a timer,i bathe them daily which also increases there activity.cooler ends of tabletop are around 22c and basking is about 30-32c,did you get them together from the same place?

Jayne

#3 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Fish - Tae Kwon Do

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi Jayne - gave them another bath today and that does seem to have instilled a bit of energy into them. Yep they both came from the same seller and with same mum. 

Bubbles has developed a bit of an appetite (on right in piccy)

625515_10151312022141130_271040082_n.jpg

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi Martin,
Jayne has given you some good advice. I would just add that no two tortoises are the same. It may take Bubbles a little longer to settle in than Ted. Hopefully you will notice an improvement soon. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

hi martin i agree with freddy some just take longer to settle into their new enclousures than others. :)

just keep up the baths and offering food, bubbles will come round when hes ready. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users