#1 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi there,

We put Harriet 3 years old in the fridge on the 20.11.12 at 186grms she is still in there but for the last six weeks she has not lost any weight since the 3.2.13 she has weighed in at 180grms and is still moving about alive when I check on her she is a young tort 3 years not a big one but the right weight for her size.  as it is still so cold I'm thinking of leaving her for at least another 2 weeks with constant checks she has hibernated for the previous two years without problems so any thoughts it is not a problem to bring her out but I'd prefer to warm her up once we have some natural leaves to feed her on.

Thanks, Tim.

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

With torts, it's the size not the age that determines how long they can stay in hibernation. Coming up to 200 grams is big for a three year old, so no reason why he cannot stay in a bit longer.

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hi Tim,
I agree with Sue. Another 2 weeks won't do any harm. Sometimes if the hibernation length is too long, say 20 weeks or so a tortoise can suffer from anorexia. It is also a good idea to shorten the hibernation length for an elderly tortoise. In the wild tortoises usually only hibernate for 3 months of the year but because of our longer, colder winters 16 weeks is seen as a good compromise particularly for adult tortoises. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi there,

I've realised she is going on for just over four years old now so that sounds good this is her second time and she is still moving when I pick her out to weigh her so all seems good.

Many thanks for a reassuring reply.

Thanks Freddy this will end up being her first 16 week hibernation which is good, she's a fit young one so will hope for the signs of spring in the next two weeks, but if not it's out for a a bit of cress and something suitable from the green grocers. 

Tim.

#5 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hi there,

Well because of the cold snap I've now had Harriet and a larger male in the Fridge for 18 weeks and currently their weight lose for the last 3 weeks has been zero they move when I weigh them but should I be worried I thought I would leave them now until this Saturday and yet I hear on the news our cold front could go on for 30 days.  Brilliant I cannot see a Dandelion anywhere mind you I can't see any grass anywhere near where I live in Yorkshire.

Guess it's get them out warm them up and some water cress and whatever I can find for them.

Guess I can only wait now until Saturday and then hope they are both okay.

Tim.

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

I have this dilemma at the moment with mine too, but have far too many tortoises to be running around the house, even temporarily and with over a foot of snow still lying, it's a no no to get them out in the outdoor hides. I would get your out and keep them indoors for a time. They will be raring to go my the time the bad weather is over. Good luck ;)

Hi there,

Well because of the cold snap I've now had Harriet and a larger male in the Fridge for 18 weeks and currently their weight lose for the last 3 weeks has been zero they move when I weigh them but should I be worried I thought I would leave them now until this Saturday and yet I hear on the news our cold front could go on for 30 days.  Brilliant I cannot see a Dandelion anywhere mind you I can't see any grass anywhere near where I live in Yorkshire.

Guess it's get them out warm them up and some water cress and whatever I can find for them.

Guess I can only wait now until Saturday and then hope they are both okay.

Tim.

#7 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply I'm going to get them up on Saturday warm them slowly and a few baths then they will just have to stay on the indoor table until the weather gets better.

Again thanks for your reply.

Tim.

#8 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi there,

Well I got them both up Saturday morning about 09.00 left them in a warm room for 4 hours then gave them both a bath, I've been hibernating a friends tort at the same time and have to babysit our friends tort for a week whilst they are on holiday.

So Harriet came out fine has not eaten yet but I'm bathing them every 3 hours and she will eat when she is ready.  However our friends tort came out and in the first bath had bubbles and some white goo stuff coming out of his mouth I was worried on his first bath this morning he also had a wee well I think it was creamy white and a large amount my concern was that he had not been wound down correctly and may have had stuff still in his intestines.

Anyway he lasted the night and has had a second bath not eaten yet but seems lively enough.

He's called Toby and has a massive lower jaw bone which the vet trimmed and advised that he should be hibernated.  He is badly pyramided will post some pictures later to check I believe he has been fed the wrong diet and has never been hibernated in his 7 years of life, so given the above I was worried when the goo came out of his mouth.  Anyway I've sent the owners the feeding advice from here and I think they now understand that they have to be careful with his diet, fair do's though he does live outdoors in the summer.

Anyway will post pictures later on, now just want to know they are eating then roll on the sunshine.

Tim.

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi Tim,
Glad to hear Harriet is up and about. Sometimes it can take a tortoise a few days to come round and start to eat, especially after a long hibernation. However, this is normal and nothing to worry about.
With regard to Toby. It is possible that the white goo, as you call it, could be just fluid that has been expelled from his digestive tract, post hibernation. However it may also be the result of a respiratory infection. It is hard to say at the moment. I would keep a close eye on Toby over the next few days to see if things clear up. It is good that he seems lively. Hopefully he starts to eat soon and returns to normal. Otherwise I think he will need to be checked out by a vet. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

HI, Freddy, well he's eating as is Harriet and he has passed a load of creamy yellow wee in his regular baths 4 times a day so I will now cut it down to 2 times a day he seems fit and active and has lasted the past few days so I'm hopeful what I do know is before I put him in the fridge from his owners next time I'll finish off his wind down so I'm absolutely sure he has been flushed out properly.

I have posted some pictures of him and questions in the other Tortoise forum and sorry about my senior moment re Edmund I hope he's found a new home.

Anyway thanks ever so much for your help and guidance only 8 months to go before the next hibernation mind you with the weather here it seems as though they would have stayed down until May if the forecasters are to be believed.

Again many thanks, Tim.

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hopefully, you are not keeping them all together. Have you checked his mouth, as bubbling on coming out of hibernation is not normal. A lot of urates also suggests he has been dehydrated at some time too.

#12 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hi there,

They are in separate tables and both are doing well Toby's owner assures me that he has been bathed frequently, my view is that in his run up to hibernation he may have not been bathed as much as I would have done.  Now both torts are settled and Toby's owner will be back on Tuesday and I can hand hime back in what appears thus far to be good health and Harriet can have her big table top run back until our weather gets a bit warmer.

Again many thanks for all your help and pointers, Tim, Harriet & Toby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users