Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hi every1,
Today my partener took my torts to get the post hibernation check ups and too be worm,she came back with a list saying i was doing it all wrong!that i should be feeding them just fruit and veg and to give them lots of protien i.e hard boild eggs!!this made me so angry that so called experienced vets giving out crap advice how too keep these beautiful creatures!!sorry to rant on but had to share this
Regards matt

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Matt

I dont blame you having a rant about this,as we all now weeds/plants are the best for our torts,i have two species of torts that require different diets and for a redfoot tort ,fruit,veg hard boiled eggs are okay with weed s and plants,but not on a daily basis,what species of tort do you have?not all vets are experienced with torts.

Jayne

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Oh my lord, that is terrible advice and will soon end with a dead tortoise. Feel free to pass on my caresheets to the vet www.tortsmad.com

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

exactly jayne its totally fine as you say for redfoots and some other species of torts but for hermanns i cant beleive he suggested that,im going to ring him up tomorow and tell him what i think of his advice and ask him where they get this from and will tell him that im a member of this fourm lol.my partner said he was taking that advice out of a book so he obviously didnt know what species mine where to be honest!hi wizzasmum yes i know it worrys me to be honest, the lack of knowledge that they know about these beautiful torts!thats great i will definatly pass your caresheet on!
Thanks guys
Matt

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hi ozric
Yes i agree with you,fruit and veg in moderation is ok but he suggested to feed them on it all the time which i know can lead to health problems!ive give mine maybe a bit of cucumber and strawberries no and again when theres not much else about but i know theres no goodness in them.

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hi ozric
Yes i agree with you,fruit and veg in moderation is ok but he suggested to feed them on it all the time which i know can lead to health problems!ive give mine maybe a bit of cucumber and strawberries no and again when theres not much else about but i know theres no goodness in them.

Cucumber is fine if you just want to hydrate them but strawberries are high in sugars nd will upset the gut flora ;)

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yes i use the cucumber just to hydrate but the strawberries are a treat now and again but will stop it,thanks for the advice :)

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

I tend to give grated cucumber on their weeds every couple of days at this time of year. X x x hugs x x

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hi stella
Yes i think alot of keepers give there torts cucumber as i dont think it does them any harm.my torts are very wise to when i put nutribal on there weeds so i put it on there cucumber as i know they wont resist it and i know that theyve had they right amount of nutribal lol

Regards matt

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Trickery is sometimes the best way forward x x x hugs x x

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi stella
Yes i think alot of keepers give there torts cucumber as i dont think it does them any harm.my torts are very wise to when i put nutribal on there weeds so i put it on there cucumber as i know they wont resist it and i know that theyve had they right amount of nutribal lol

Regards matt

Why not try swapping the nutrobal for Nekton MSA, it doesn't have that horrible smell of nutrobal and doesn't go 'off'so quickly either ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users