- - - - -

38 Year Old Adopted Tort

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Same, here, the roads are clear now though apart from where people have cleared their drives. Torts coming out of hibernation tomorrow whether they like it or not lol

#22 Ponge69

Ponge69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ok everyone, I'm starting to worry.

Fred is still sound asleep. It's still really cold here on the south coast. Should I be waking him or waiting out the cold weather? I'm worried about how much energy he stored going into winter. I've got an indoor enclosure ready. His old owners said he'd just wake up when it was warm enough. So that will be July then!!!

#23 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

This year is exceptional and it's unwise to just leave them as long as they will sleep as there will come a time when it becomes too much for them. If you have indoor accommodation ready then there is no reason not to get him up. He needs to be put into a cool room until he stirs. Don't bring him out and put him straight into the accommodation, let it happen as naturally as possible. Try waking thirty odd that are just not ready - no mean feat.

#24 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I was just going to say that Sue.... Not the thirty odd bit :-)
I had to wake most of mine, thinking 20 weeks was long enough, and still struggling to keep Georgia up... But they are eating and drinking.
This year has been exceptionally cold, and even with the heating on in their outdoor accommodation they seem very slow x x x hugs x x

#25 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Just dreading the fuel bill now :( One of my girlies is stomping around, so double trouble, just not ready for incubation yet. What a flipping year and it's only April :ohmy:

#26 Ponge69

Ponge69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

FRED'S AWAKE,

I put his his hibernation box out into his enclosure in the sun this morning so that the sun could work its magic and it has. Just checked him and saw his little head move. Have brought him in to his indoor run with water, food and bedding etc. he wasn't interested in water or food and has buried himself back into his hay. He is in safe and warming up in the sunny window spot.

SO EXCITING, FEEL LIKE A NEW MUM.

Have just sat watching a ball of hay for the last 20 minutes.

#27 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Have just sat watching a ball of hay for the last 20 minutes.[/quote]

Yep that sound about right for tort carers!!!! If you haven't done it yet you should be giving Fred a nice warm bath.... Baby temp warm just deep enough so he can rest his chin comfortably on the water x x this helps to rehydrate him and will encourage him to have a poo and expel urates x x
Can't wait to see pictures of him x x

#28 Ponge69

Ponge69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Well I've tried the warm bath but Fred's not having any of it. Hasn't drunk or pooed.
He is however happy to bury himself into his bed. He is strong when picked up and has hissed his annoyance so will try again with the water tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the ongoing support. X

#29 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Boy Pebble hates his bath... Or pretends he hates it.... He stands on his claws and rocks until he totally looses his balance then goes in head first. Then he just lays with his legs out at four corners. Consequently as long as he is looking fit and well I don't bath him at all.... Just when he is out if hibernation and again before hibernation. He is outdoors as much as possibly so rehydrating is not always necessary x x

#30 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I am a proud owner of two hermann tortoises, Archie aged 6 and Dolly aged 3. I also have a bearded dragon which we rescued called Spike and a cockatiel we called Bubbles, who we affectionately refer to as Bubba Boy..

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Have just sat watching a ball of hay for the last 20 minutes.

Ha a haa..this did make me giggle....I would be exactly the same. As the sun is shining another venture out in the garden today for my two I will take a book and join them I think...  :rofl:

#31 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Well I've tried the warm bath but Fred's not having any of it. Hasn't drunk or pooed.
He is however happy to bury himself into his bed. He is strong when picked up and has hissed his annoyance so will try again with the water tomorrow.

The hissing is not to do with annoyance, but is simply the air being exhaled from his lungs as he draws his head in, due to the fact that the shell does not let the body expand as a mammals would ;)

#32 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Boy Pebble hates his bath... Or pretends he hates it.... He stands on his claws and rocks until he totally looses his balance then goes in head first. Then he just lays with his legs out at four corners. Consequently as long as he is looking fit and well I don't bath him at all.... Just when he is out if hibernation and again before hibernation. He is outdoors as much as possibly so rehydrating is not always necessary x x

That's right, if you look at the humidity levels outdoors, an outdoor tortoise should need no more than the occasional drink from a handy shallow bath. No one bathes them in the wild and the humidity in daytime hours is far lower there than in the UK ;) On the whole we tend to treat our tortoises far too much like mammals ;)

#33 Ponge69

Ponge69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'm not too worried about the bath thing now, but I just wish I would see him eat and drink something. I even stopped to pick fresh dandelions today. He just takes himself back ff to bed. But he's moving well, so hopefully he's taking his time coming round.

We've got a wet week forecast so will keep him indoors and stare at lots more.

Xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users