• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi Guys hope your all okay it been a while since I've been on!

Just noticed today as i was giving him a bath that my 2 and a half year old hermans tortoise has got like a greeny brown tail around the hole it wasn't this colour before it was just brown, its looks a little swole, any ideas what it is shall i increase the baths to two a day for a while? Shall i get him to a reptile vet quick? Ive attached a pic to show you guys too!Attached File  IMG_1379.JPG   22.13KB   49 downloads

Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jay

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hi Jay,
I can't be 100% sure but your torts tail looks normal to me. Tails tend to have bumpy and raised edges around their openings. Hopefully there will be others along shortly who can confirm this. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Looks perfectly normal to me too, and female so far.

#4 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hi guys she isn't pooping either and it's more swollen pics to follow soon any ideas how I can help her?

Thanks Jay

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hi, Jay, although it looks ok in the pic, now that you've said it appears to have worsened, I think a trip to the vet may be in order. I'm no expert by any means, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. It may be a case of cloacitis; here's a link describing that condition:

http://www.peteducat...17 1797&aid=941

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Do keep us informed of the progress.

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

What are you feeding your tortoise and what substrate are you using? Is hydration maintained well as in frequent baths or watered substrate. It could be due to either a stone due to dehydration or even a parasitic overload, depending on where you got him from? Either way if there is any bulging, it will need some form of treatment. Warmer than usual soaks often help. Is there any smell at all, ie faecal of fishy?

#7 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

What are you feeding your tortoise and what substrate are you using? Is hydration maintained well as in frequent baths or watered substrate. It could be due to either a stone due to dehydration or even a parasitic overload, depending on where you got him from? Either way if there is any bulging, it will need some form of treatment. Warmer than usual soaks often help. Is there any smell at all, ie faecal of fishy?

Hi Sue so sorry about the delay only just saw the comment substrate is top soil 70% and 30% pro rep tort life, watered daily, fed on dandelions freshly picked when available always cleaned before given to eat, supplemented with nutrobal, baths everyday for 30 mins or even longer as sometimes he loves to stay in!! All is okay now all healed etc! I think it was a small harder piece of soil stuck up there two warm baths daily did the trick after 3 days all clear!

thanks, Jay

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

That's good news then Jay. If he is liking such long baths, it might point out to your substrate being too dry. He could have been a bit dehydrated at the rear end if so. I would water it daily ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users