#1 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Fish - Tae Kwon Do

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi all

I've been looking into 'prickly pear' / opuntia cacti for my torts... it's just not that straight forward is it! Is there any particular opuntia subspecies that are better for tortoises? And does anyone know of a decent supplier / nice person prepared to part with a pad or two to plant up?

Many thanks

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

hi martin I seen this the other day on another forum, not used them myself but looks ok  http://api.viglink.c..._13636225416972  :)

#3 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thaks Karen!

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Karen, thank you for that link, I've been rather unsuccessful in trying to grow opuntia from seed, so now I'll buy the plants themselves and go from there.

I've heard they're incredibly easy to grow from pads, apparently if you cut one of them in half and plant it, and new one grows from it easily.

I did once read a story of a gentleman who planted a whole opuntia in the torts' enclosure with the intention that they could nibble on it when they wanted, but the greedy devils pigged out and ate the lot in one sitting, lol! :laugh:

I think the story here is to grow it externally, and feed them the pads on a singular basis.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I wonder why they like the cacti so much. I may check out the website x x hugs x x

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi, Stella,

It may be because it's both nutritious and succulent plus high water content, and, perhaps, a native plant in their natural country. 

I, too, would be interested, and will investigate.

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

It is the spikes that worry me.... I know it says burn them off bit how can you be sure they are all gone. I think the first feed will be the scariest!! X x x hugs x x

#8 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

There seems to be a few spike free varieties in there

#9 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

hi martin I seen this the other day on another forum, not used them myself but looks ok  http://api.viglink.c..._13636225416972  :)

Just for info folks - shipping is £5.70

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

Karen, thank you for that link, I've been rather unsuccessful in trying to grow opuntia from seed, so now I'll buy the plants themselves and go from there.

I've heard they're incredibly easy to grow from pads, apparently if you cut one of them in half and plant it, and new one grows from it easily.

I did once read a story of a gentleman who planted a whole opuntia in the torts' enclosure with the intention that they could nibble on it when they wanted, but the greedy devils pigged out and ate the lot in one sitting, lol! :laugh:

I think the story here is to grow it externally, and feed them the pads on a singular basis.

ive tried seeds myself before with no luck, so thought the same buy the plants.

im going to order some of these myself. but keep them in pots as mine would do the same eat them straight away. :)

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

I bough a couple of pads from this seller last year.... sliced some off to feed my torts with, then planted the remainder and now I have 2 healthy plants from them. :)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d0a0dac6c

Steve C on the tortoise trust forum is a brilliant guy to talk to about Opuntia too. http://www.tortoiset...ewprofile&u=128 You can order from him too. His email's in the link. ;)

#12 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Pads arrived and ready to plant 

#13 clairechaplin1

clairechaplin1

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Family and met tortoise

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

I have ordered and received some pads and also full plant. 

My tort loves it but the pads seem to be very tough for her to bite. I have tried cutting, peeling etc but seems a little too much effort. Any tips?

Also it is very sticky and ends up with coir stuck all over it and on her until she bathes, but she is not bothered lol.

Thanks

Claire

#14 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

I cut mine into thin slices and feed off some slate so it doesn't get too messy. :) It doesn't usually stay around long enough for them to trail mud and muck through it!!! :rofl:

#15 clairechaplin1

clairechaplin1

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Family and met tortoise

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Kelly, I will give it a go.

I obviously didn't cut the pieces small enough! 

#16 Martin Pressling

Martin Pressling

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi all - my cacti are all doing well and growing new pads!

I have found http://www.opuntias...._product=525447 online that obviously sell opuntia. Haven't tried them, but thought some of you might like the link.

Cheers

Martin

#17 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

How long did it take for your pads to start growing new pads? Maybe I'm just being impatient....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users