16 replies to this topic

#1 mather

mather

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

hi there i am new to this forum and needing somme help/advice

i have a 8-9 year old female hermans who a couple of years ago laid 2 unfertile eggs  i was told they lay eggs when they hit matureity if there is a male there or not but she has not laid any since.

also i have 2 marginated male tortoises that are 5-7 years old are they old enough to breed with my female????

also any ideas about outdoor enclosure's that would be successfull in breeding/mateing my torts???

i have got 6 foot by 3 foot to work with and i have got some clear roofing plastic to make a little green house or just for a roof for there hot spot any ideas???

need to know best subtrate to encourage breeding enviroment to encourage breeding ??????

all advice on making there enclosure best for breeding would be taken greatfully

thank you

cheers

steve

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Yes, females can lay unfertilised eggs even without a male being present. There's not an 'age' as such when they are ready for breeding, it usually goes on size.... but generally, unless they've been 'power-fed', most tortoises aren't ready to breed from until they are at least 10 years old.

When keeping male and female tortoises together you need to be careful that the females do not get stressed from unwanted attention from males. Ratios of at least 1 males to 3 females is advisable, with 1:5 being preferable. An enclosure 6ftx3ft would be nowhere big enough to house that many tortoises for breeding purposes. The females would never be able to escape. ;)

You're not planning on mating your female Hermanns to one of your Marginated males are you? :unsure2: Are they housed together?

#3 mather

mather

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

they are not housed together the female is in 1 viv and the 2 males are in the viv on top...

i have a ready made tortoise run which is 8ft by 6ft and the other out door enclosure 6ftby3ft..

wont a hermans mate with a marginated ????? is it bad to do that? if so why?

am new to all this..

cheers

steve

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

You shouldn't mix species as you can end up with a very sick tortoises. They carry different bacteria and diseases.... and breeding hybrids is a definite no no.  

#5 mather

mather

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

did not know that ..

thank you for the advice i will have to get an older male hermans.

thanks again

steve

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Be aware that you may need to provide them with separate housing if you're only getting one male to one female. Hermanns can be agressive breeders.

All hatchings will need to have A12 certificates too if you're planning on selling them. Breeding tortoises is not something to be undertaken lightly. Do lots and LOTS of research first. The tortoise Trust is a great place to start. ;)

(There are some helpful links in my signature below to get you started.)

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

hi steve welcome to forum. :)

kellys give you some great advice, just to add theres three different sub-species of Hermann and its also best to keep sub-species together when thinking about breeding.

so you need to first find out what sub-species of Hermann you already have before you think of adding more. :)

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

:goodpost: That's a very valid point. :)

You need to 100% sure of what your female is before going out getting a male.... or three. ;)  You need to post pics of the underside of your tortoise and some rear end shots of her, to get an ID.

#9 mather

mather

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

please sex and identifie the following

Attached File  med 1.jpg   33.41KB   29 downloads

Attached File  med 1a.jpg   28.52KB   41 downloads

Attached File  med 2.jpg   32.03KB   36 downloads

Attached File  med 2a.jpg   31.17KB   43 downloads

Attached File  large.jpg   32.87KB   36 downloads

Attached File  large 1.jpg   30.13KB   28 downloads

the last 2 pictures are of the female that laid the eggs she has a spike on the end of her tail...

and the first 4 pictures have not spike on there tail and the tail is short and stumpy

thanks for helping

cheers

steve

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

they are not housed together the female is in 1 viv and the 2 males are in the viv on top...

i have a ready made tortoise run which is 8ft by 6ft and the other out door enclosure 6ftby3ft..

wont a hermans mate with a marginated ????? is it bad to do that? if so why?

am new to all this..

cheers

steve

You must not mate your two species of tortoise, this is very irresponsible and will likely produce infertile offspring anyway. Crossbreeding is not good for many reasons, mainly the different construction of shells in different species and differing mating behaviours, both of which can cause harm to the other. You should never try to breed tortoises in such small enclosures either - they need large enclosures outdoors with appropriate heated areas and various nesting areas so that the female can choose the best spot to lay.  There are people out there who try to produce hybrid tortoises, but they tend to come unstuck in the end and will lose one or possibly both tortoises. I would think you have already done this, as it's unlikely that a female tortoise will lay if not run with males previously ;)

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

please sex and identifie the following

attachicon.gifmed 1.jpg

attachicon.gifmed 1a.jpg

attachicon.gifmed 2.jpg

attachicon.gifmed 2a.jpg

attachicon.giflarge.jpg

attachicon.giflarge 1.jpg

the last 2 pictures are of the female that laid the eggs she has a spike on the end of her tail...

and the first 4 pictures have not spike on there tail and the tail is short and stumpy

thanks for helping

cheers

steve

Neither of those tortoises are marginated!

#12 mather

mather

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

could any one identifie what type of tortoises these are and wheather they are female or male..

cheers steve

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

You need much clearer pics, top and bottom and head on, not from an angle and with no shaded areas. If you could take pics of the head too that might help.

#14 mather

mather

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

does any one know where i can buy some fertile tortoise eggs please???????????????

cheers

steve

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

does any one know where i can buy some fertile tortoise eggs please???????????????

cheers

steve

You cannot buy fertile tortoise eggs AFAIK

What would you do with them?

#16 mather

mather

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

i would like to incubate them and have the experience of hatching some tortoises...

regards

steven

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

But then you would have the problem of registering the babies. In the abscence of parents and their details this would be unlikely to be granted. Also I'm not sure how the position of the eggs could be guaranteed in transit. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outdoor enclosure, breeding, mateing, hermans, marginated, first time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users