3 replies to this topic

#1 m12_shakes

m12_shakes

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hello all,

After hours upon hours of reading, I've decided to take the plunge and start planning for the purchase of my first pet tortoise (Hermann). I'm in the process of getting all the housing sorted before I get it, I just need some feedback to make sure I'm the right track.

I'm going to make another thread for the indoor enclosure too.

Outdoor

This enclosure idea I'm slightly unsure about.

To begin with, the enclosure would be set in a raise bed like this (10ftx4ft):
I can source that same raised bed for around £50.

Inside this raised bed would be:

- Substrate: 5-10% gray gravel (keeps in heat far better?), 40-45% top soil and 50% play sand

- A cold frame to keep the temperature up, I cannot decide between:

A design like this:
Or:

The cold frame would be approx 2-4ftx4ft, which leaves around 6-8ft outdoor space (which would hold rocks/plants and a large grazing patch (approx 1m sq) with naturally grown weeds and flowers.

- Also standard hide like this:

Now would this hide go inside the cold frame, or do I keep it out? A bit of a daft question, but if the tortoise was in the "grazing" patch, and wanted to go into the cold frame, would I need to cut a hole, or would I need to carry him/her in all the time?

The whole things minus the cold frame (with the hide inside?), would be protected by something like this:

Right, I do apologise for the long post, and all the questions and I hope it all makes sense, but any feedback and criticism would be much appreciated!

I want to get it all sorted well before I purchase the little guy  and I want to try and replicate both enclosures to its natural habitat as much as possible.

Kind regards,

m12

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

hi all sounds great If you cut a hole in the cold frame your tort will soon get used to going in and out on his own.

same again I would leave out the sand.

have a look on here its good to find plants that are good for enclosures and also food.  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

looking forward to seeing pictures when your done. :)

#3 m12_shakes

m12_shakes

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hi Karen,

I like the look of this cold frame:

http://www.garden-pr...rden_cold_frame

Would it be a case of keeping one of the doors slightly open so the tort can walk in?

I've included a very primitive diagram of what the plan is...

Regards,

m12 

Attached Files

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

hi yes all cold frames will do the same you just have to make sure your tort can get in and out.

have a look at how kellys done hers might give you more of an idea.  http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=7050. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users