4 replies to this topic

#1 m12_shakes

m12_shakes

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hello all,

I've already got an "outdoor enclosure" thread...here is the indoor one.

Indoor

I'm looking to get a tortoise table made from plywood (4'x2'x10"). It is pretty much this one:

With the hide at the end of the table. I'm going to varnish it with yacht varnish, line it with pond liner, and more than likely go down the 50:50 top soil:sand route. To which I would add all the decorations/plants/etc. 
Lighting/heating I would be looking to get a combination bulb on a zoo-med lamp stand.

On paper, does this look like a decent set-up? Any feedback and criticism would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

m12

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hi, M12, welcome to the forum  :welcome: 

My Harry is a mature adult, so I can't say much about indoor enclosures, but one thing I do know is that sand added to topsoil can irritate the tort's eyes; you're far better going for a straightforward sterilized topsoil; this is available very cheaply from Wickes or B&Q.

Other, more experienced, members will advise you further.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

hi welcome to the forum. :)

I agree with graham I would just use topsoil with out the sand.

is it a hatchling your looking at getting as this makes all the difference in the size of table you would need, older torts would need a lot more space until it warms up enough for them to be outside.

have a look at the indoor section on the forum it might give you some ideas how other members keep theirs. :)

#4 m12_shakes

m12_shakes

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you for the welcome... :)

Duly noted about the sand, and not so much a hatchling, around 1-2 years old.

A few people have said to take away the wooden hide and replace it with a terracotta plant pot on its side, as it will allow the tort to dig if it wants too...is this ok?

Regards,

m12

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

yes that's fine a few use plant pots, I don't have hides in they just dig down on a night. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users