• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I now have a raised flower bed errected 4' x 4' (tilly is still only 8cm), and in position (albeit filled with snow), I have an outside house for her, seeds, and a plastic propogator for a mini green house and am already to get it put together, all need now is the weather!! once wether improves willl take out the cotswold stone its sitting on and line it with something nice and sturdy, get the topsoil to go in, and get it all ready for the better weather.... any suggestions welcome......

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

sounds like your all organised,just need the weather,lets hope it cheers up soon.

Jaynex

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

hi jessy it all sounds great, are you putting some sort of protective cover over aswell. :thumbup:

looking forward to seeing pictures when your finished.

hopefully it wont be long and we,ll get some sun. :)

#4 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yes will do as I get quite a few cats in my garden x :wacko2:

#5 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well even though snow on ground my other half has dug out the cotswold stone, put the raised bed in place and put the linning in so we can get the top soil for it this week n get started! Been to the garden centre today eying up slates and things for decoration

#6 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

got the topsoil in but need to get more want about 5" deep, tilly is a horsefield and the totoise trust say add sand to outside soil as they like dry soil...I dont know? as always been told to avoid adding sand....  I also read to add a bit of compost so any plants get more nutrients...Is this necessary?  Bought a seed tray yesterday with a clear plastic lid and cut a whole in front and filled tray with grvel, this will be tllys warm spot, as she wont be overnighting out there, and not adding heating just yet........ once soil settles will be planting a few friendly plants and sprinkling seeds, and land scaping, can I add ferns as lots of pics with them in but tortoise table says shouldnt!  cus of tillys greedy nature should I put some mesh over the planted area to avoid her pigging out?  Oh the worries of tortiehood!!

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

hi jessy. :)

I wouldn't add any sand to your soil cause if it doesn't work you would have to change all of the soil/sand mix again.

I also wouldn't add any compost your plant's wont last that long before there eaten.

you could also add some limestone chipping's, to make another area you can get these at b&q etc and  don't cost a lot.

if the tortoise table says not to add fern then I wouldn't there's lots of other plants that can be added to your enclosure that are safe. :)

#8 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ta just gonna pop nother bag of top soil on then, am planning a chipping area and a grassy one and a weedy bit and a dirt bit :-) and gotta sort out my mesh roof just stuck for a small shrubby kind of plant for cover any ideas xx thanks xx

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

hi jessy

you could use heather, hebe or lavender plants, all of these are good for enclosures.

there's also some grasses that can be used, if you look through the tortoise table site it tells you what plants are good for enclosures aswell. :)

http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

looking forward to seeing pictures when your finished. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users