Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hi guys
Im looking to adopt a 13 year old female hermanns tortoise but she suffered injury to her shell a couple years back,she had x-rays to check her spinal cord and to check her vital organs but luckily was all fine and has made great recovery.the owner has said to me she can not hibernate but is this right if its only shell damage?
Matt

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

hi matt when you say she suffered an injury do you know what happened?

do you have any pictures of her.

was it the vet who said for her not to be hibernated. ;)

#3 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hello Matt

I bet your looking forward to adopting your new female tort,can you find out more from the vet who treated her to the reason why not to hibernate if she seems okay now?,looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Jaynex

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I would say there is no reason not to hibernate if it is merely shell damage, maybe not the first winter, but once fully healed it should be fine. I have several rehabbers all of which hibernate, some after terrible injuries. If the spine is depressed to the point of compromising internal organs space, then this would be a case for none hibernation due to the room needed for lungs expanding.

Hi guys
Im looking to adopt a 13 year old female hermanns tortoise but she suffered injury to her shell a couple years back,she had x-rays to check her spinal cord and to check her vital organs but luckily was all fine and has made great recovery.the owner has said to me she can not hibernate but is this right if its only shell damage?
Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users