#1 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

HI there,

This year I hibernated a friends Tortoise called Toby who is 7 years old and had never been hibernated before.  So I was a bit worried and when he arrived ready for hibernation even more worried by he's shell and beak but he had been to a vets recently who advised he should be hibernated.  

I have been advising that his owner should feed him properly as per all the guidelines available and perhaps not on his favourite peas anyway a change has begun but what about his shell and size is this normal I think it is pyramiding and that providing he is fed properly from now on it won't disappear but it won't get worse.  But it is his beak that looks so odd compared to Harriet apparently last year the vet clipped the beak that sounds painful and I have suggested that he is fed of some form of abrasive tile something I think I read on here. 

Also his tail seems so long compared to Harriet.

Anyway any bits of advice would be welcome from the forum and I will pass them on to the owner when Toby returns to them next week.

Final question Toby is 7 and a big boy Harriet is 4 and dainty are they okay in the same table or should I split them up it is way to cold up here in Yorkshire for the next month so the BBC are saying so no chance of them going outside yet.

Again many thanks, Tim.Attached File  Toby 1.jpg   57.07KB   43 downloadsAttached File  Toby 2.jpg   53.48KB   50 downloadsAttached File  Toby Tail.jpg   14.99KB   36 downloads

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hi Tim,
I am no expert on Horsfields. But some of the things you say make perfect sense to me. With regard to Toby's beak, I would place his food on a piece of slate. This will help keep it trim. His tail seems quite large but this is common among male tortoises. It is always wise to separate male and female tortoises as males can often pester females, stressing them out. Anyway Tim, hopefully there will be others along shortly who have a better knowledge of Horsfields, and can offer you more helpful advice. For now, I wish you the best of luck with Harriet and Toby. Hopefully the weather picks up soon. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

I agree with freddy bout feeding off slate for his beak and placing a cuttlefish in the table may help, i have a horsefield and from what i've read the tail of a male is quite a bit bigger than the female, what freddy said about seperating them seems like a good idea not only because he male and may harrass the female but because he may have underlying infections or parasites that you dont know of x

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

hi tim

I agree with the above I would keep them in their own tables horsfields can be aggressive when it comes to breeding, toby might be quite at first as he's just come out of hibernation but could change I wouldn't take the risk.

you could maybe give his owners these links to help them with toby's care.

for feeding  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

and they can have a read of this   http://www.thetortoi.../russians04.htm

are you putting supplements on his food like nekton msa or nutrobal.

one more thing in the photos its looks like there's sand on top of the soil I would take that out, its not very good as a substrate. :)

#5 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi there,

Thanks everyone advice taken and acted upon, but I have already sent the links to Toby's owner and the advice of using a slate or as we're in Yorkshire a grit stone tile.

Yes there is some sand mixed in with peat as per some guidance on the forum should I have something different as a base in the table?

I must say whilst they have been together they have been very quiet but they are now apart bless Harriet's first chance of love thwarted by her cruel owner. 

Again thanks to everyone for your extremely useful comments.

Tim.

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

Yes there is some sand mixed in with peat as per some guidance on the forum should I have something different as a base in the table?

hi tim just topsoil ( peat ) will do there's no need to add sand.

sand can irritate there eyes, you also don't want your substrate to be to dry which I find sand makes it.

hope that helps a bit. :)

#7 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Hi there,

Many thanks I was worried that the peat would be damp and that might not be good for Harriet but It will obviously dry out with the heat of the lamp.

Am I right in thinking that I would need to spray it with water every now and then to keep it damp.  Finally is there a better substitute for peat as it is becoming and endangered product?

Again many thanks for all your help, Tim, Harriet & Toby.

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

hi tim I just use bags of topsoil you can get it from any garden centre (b & q etc ).

a lot of tortoise keepers are also using coco coir as substrate or this if you have an ikea near you as they don't deliver this  http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/90231416/# .

as for spraying your soil that doesn't really do much you want to be really watering it I use a small watering can, then the top of the soil will dry out, but the soil under will stay moist. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users