Photo
- - - - -

Komodo Tortoise Food - Feeding Guidelines Needed.

Komodo food feeding formulated granules

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi,

I've been given some Komodo Dandelion Flavour and Fruit & Flower Flavour Tortoise Food to try. I know that Hermann's are best fed on weeds and I know that some keepers are against using processed feeds, but the Komodo stuff is supposed to be low protein and specifically formulated. I don't intend giving it as the main diet, but it would be useful in times when weeds are not so abundant.

Now down to my question - I have not been given any feeding quantity guidelines, so does anyone have a tub of this stuff with the guidelines, which they could tell me?

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Personally, I have no idea how much to feed and I would steer clear of these foods myself. Despite Komodo being one of the better ones with regard to protein content, they are still high in phytates and fillers according to the tortoise trust research.... some of which can be lethal to tortoises.

When weeds are in short supply I bulk out with Pre Alpin http://www.tortoisel...co.uk/page7.htm (this is one of the only prepared foods that the tortoise trust recommends). However, I have never had too much of a problem feeding one tortoise over winter.... there are a surprising amount of weeds to be found if you have a good look. :)

If all else fails some of the Italian salad mixes are a good alternative to weeds. Florette Crispy Salad being one of them.

Here's a guide to suitable foods which may help you. ;)

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Komodo, food, feeding, formulated, granules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users