A Big "hello"...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I am a proud owner of two hermann tortoises, Archie aged 6 and Dolly aged 3. I also have a bearded dragon which we rescued called Spike and a cockatiel we called Bubbles, who we affectionately refer to as Bubba Boy..

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just want to say hello to everyone and to post a couple more pictures to introduce us to you all.

Here is a closer image of young Dolly girl enjoying a warm up.

Dolly2_zps0a129d1a.jpg

Followed by a photo of Archie all snuggled up in a furry coat. We never actually physically put him in the coat, one day he just decided to climb in independently and has now claimed my now redundant coat as one of his beds..

Archie2_zps48c3e171.jpg

Attached Files

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hello and welcome to this very friendly forum :)

your torts look lovely,Archie look's like he's nice and comfy bless him :)  

Jaynex

#3 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I am a proud owner of two hermann tortoises, Archie aged 6 and Dolly aged 3. I also have a bearded dragon which we rescued called Spike and a cockatiel we called Bubbles, who we affectionately refer to as Bubba Boy..

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thank you for your kind words...Archie is half hermann half puppy as he has the strangest of habits, but you gotta love him I would not have him any other way.........second thoughts a few less cheeky bites I could live without  :laugh:

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Do be careful Lee when letting your tortoise have the run of a house as this is not a good environment for them and whereas hiding in a coat may be deemed sweet, it's probably a stressful reaction to wanting to hide away from the house environment. Be aware too, that you will have to either separate them when they get older or to get a couple more Dolly's ;)

#5 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Do be careful Lee when letting your tortoise have the run of a house as this is not a good environment for them and whereas hiding in a coat may be deemed sweet, it's probably a stressful reaction to wanting to hide away from the house environment. Be aware too, that you will have to either separate them when they get older or to get a couple more Dolly's ;)

Good afternoon Sue, and thank you for your sound advice. Archie has been a spoilt tortoise with regards to freedom and exercise and has always had free run of my lounge since the day I got him. Obviously I regularly put him back into his indoor run for warmth and UV. He is a friendly confident and naturally enquisitive boy indeed. Dolly on the other hand chooses to exhibit more normal tortoise behaviour and often opts out of adventuring and will happily take herself away to her hide away place. I will absolutely bare you advice in mind, and ensure that I am not contributing to heighten their anxiety levels. :thumbup:  With regards to keeping them separate I have two separate indoor runs already and only let them interact with supervision, but it is definitely my long term plan to expand the family and get another 3 Dolly's (just have to convince the other half)  :fingers_crossed: 

I appreciate all the advice and I am always seeking knowledge to be a better and more responsible owner.

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

It's still important to know that this is not a good way to keep your tortoise and I think by comparing your two, you will discover in the long term that this is not going to contribute to his wellbeing as a tortoise. It's easy to think of them in a human way, but tortoises are not like the average mammal and unfortunately just popping him back for small periods will not contribute to his long term health. It's your choice of course, but far better in the long run to make him a larger enclosure where he is happy than discover too late, that there is a problem ;) Looking at the two, there is already a difference ;)

Hope this helps

#7 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Archie and Dolly enjoying a warm up before their tea...

Warmingup_zps025db41a.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users