Friendly Warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tez_05_*

Guest_tez_05_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I would just like to warn every one of the dangers of baby torts and play sand. My 4 month old tort is very poorly with an infection in both eyes. she was only in contact with the sand for 3 days and I noticed her eyelids looked slightly different, the next day they were obviously inflamed! So straight to the vet we went and I didnít think for one second it was because of the sand as it is recommended as substrate, but the vet explained that it can cause 'dry' eyes which then leads to a bacterial infection.
Mine was caught very early so itís not serious but it could have been very serious. So, if introducing new substrate to yr tort, be aware that she/he and the new substrate may not get along.
My little one has been given antibiotic eye drops and im praying this will do the trick.

p.s my vet was able to diagnose the problem very quickly because she knows me and my torts but, eye infections can be because of much more serious problems, so never delay.
:D

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:52 PM

I hope she makes a speedy recovery, keep us posted on how shes doing. Thanks for posting a warning, thats real nice of you.:D

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-11-05 AT 04:31 PM (GMT)]How weird, did you just use play sand? or did you mix it with soil? Ive never had a problem. Hope he gets better

#4 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

I think you will find its 50-50 playpit sand and John Innes is the mixture for substrate. Not sand on its own, as this will cause problems with eyes etc.

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

Hello Jemma
Normally there is no problem with a 50/50 sand and soil mix, but if your tortoise is suseptable to it, another really good substrate is Aubiose (Horse Hemp) can be bought on line or from any horse outlets if you have one near you, you can also buy Lime stone flour from these places too
So glad your little one is much better, might be worth a mention of your vet, she obviouisly knows what she is doing and a good vet is hard to find for tortoises
Arnie

#6 Guest_tez_05_*

Guest_tez_05_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the get well messages, yr very kind.
I did use 50/50 sand and soil, and she also has towel, a slate basking area and mini bark chips (FSC standard), as the table top is quite big. I introduced the sand/soil because I like to keep her stimulated. The vet did say that it is very rare, but some torts are sensitive to certain substrates.
She seems to be doing well, her shell is nice, smooth and shiny and her skin is healthy looking. She never lost her appetite, which is great, so hopefully the antibiotics (Fucithalmic) will do its job and her eyes will be back to normal. Iíve already noticed a massive improvement and itís only been two days!

Can I just say that I think this forum is brill and very helpful. It has helped me out with alot of things. And its lovely to think that so many torts have loving homes and are taken care of as they should be. :7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users