• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

This is the AMAZING outdoor enclosure my Dad made for me to put Oscar in during the summer months. Its wooden and on legs so its raised from the ground. It also makes it easier for my little boy to look inside!! He had lots of fun "helping" me fill it. As you can see its just got top soil in at the moment, but I'm planning and designing currently and will be filling it with lots of Oscar friendly plants. I might get a slightly larger ceramic pot for him to hide in - yes the tortoise currently occupying it is a garden ornament. I'm going to add a shallow pond area for drinking and bathing and I'm thinking a few pebbles for varied texture. Would love to hear your thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

Attached File  Horsham-20130406-00028.jpg   57.04KB   31 downloads

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

It looks great. :)

It might be a good idea to cover it with mesh of some kind.... not only to keep predators like birds and cats out , but also to ensure that your tort cannot fall out onto the floor in the event that he makes a bid to escape. ;)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

it looks great. :)

as you have already said it just needs a few plants, stones etc and some nice weather. :)

#4 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yes I think I'll get my Dad to craft some kind of lid - a frame and some chicken wire should do the trick. Doubt my son will leave Oscar unattended in the garden - he is absolutely fascinated with him - but better to be safe than sorry!!

Bring on the sunshine!!

#5 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Looks great x

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

And torts do make 'bids for escape'.... I have had to rescue many a tort from bush branches!!! And have seen them climb on each other to get to the greener grass!!! :-) x x x hugs x x

#7 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Thanks to the lovely sunny weather today - though it is about to rain now I think - I managed to do a bit of work on Oscar's enclosure.

Slate for the path, a bought water dish buried into the soil and filled with glass pebbles so its not too deep, and the plants are Spider Plants, Saxifrage and Mimulus.

Oscar spent a good hour or so out there stomping about and investigating his new surroundings. I have a lid too but it looks much nicer for photos without it on!!

Planted some seeds in pots too with other plants he can chomp on which I'll pop in once they are ready to be eaten.

Sarah xx

Attached Files

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

That looks beautiful Sarah. :) It won't stay looking like that for long though!   :rofl:

Before you know it they'll be slate pieces all over the place, the plants will be eaten down to stumps and they'll be mud walked everywhere..... Oscar will be in his element.... the happiest tortoise EVER. :D

#9 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

He spent most of his time out there sat on the plants and getting slightly tangled in the spider plants. They seem pretty resilient at the moment but I'm sure it won't last. Lots of spare plants to use though thankfully!!

Sarah x

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

hi sarah

Oscar's enclosure looks great.

it's nice to see him outside enjoying the sun. :thumbup:

#11 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

That looks FAB Sarah!!! Oscar will love being in the sunshine ( should we ever get any)!!
Just remember the general rule ...' If we can be out in shirt sleeves it is ok for torts'. The point being it doesn't have to be a sunny day!! X x hugs x x

#12 SussexMummy

SussexMummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Seems a bit cooler today but I think I'll let him have a rampage around this afternoon when any sun that might appear should be on his little garden :)

Sarah x

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outdoors, enclosure, habitat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users