Random Question I Know..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I am a proud owner of two hermann tortoises, Archie aged 6 and Dolly aged 3. I also have a bearded dragon which we rescued called Spike and a cockatiel we called Bubbles, who we affectionately refer to as Bubba Boy..

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Here I am again with another question, which only occurred to me this afternoon while cleaning out "Bubba" my cockatiel.  :thinking:

I was wondering if anybody has ever had any thought about growing the seed into grasses and feeding this to tortoises. I know it is probably a question of finding out what the seeds are, but I was wondering if anybody here would have that knowledge or thoughts on the matter.

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Personally, I wouldn't. There are a few ingredients like sunflower which are poisonous.... and Hermanns aren't really grass eaters.....

There are some really good tortoise friendly seeds mixes that you can buy to scatter in their outdoor enclosures. At least then you would know that what you are giving is 100% safe. :)

I buy mine form the Shelled Warriors shop on ebay http://myworld.ebay....=p2047675.l2559 and Herbiseed do a good mix too which you can buy in whatever quantity you require http://www.herbiseed.../pets/home.aspx

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

I agree with Kelly, I would have thought any sort of 'bird seed' would not include Tortoise Friendly ones. I get my seeds from the Tlady site, or shelled warriors, but a better way is to collect them from my weed walks. Even now there are dandilions which have gone to seed.... X x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users