Photo

Outdoor Enclosure - Do Hermann's Dig/burrow?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I will be getting my juvenile Hermann very soon and already have the indoor table pretty much in hand for the colder weather. I am now planning the outdoor enclosure for the few days of sunshine me have here in NE Scotland :)

I was just going to make a low fences enclosure, possibly using log edging, but would I need to put in any sort of protection against the tortoise digging it's way out? Basically, do Hermann's dig/burrow?

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hermanns don't burrow as such, but they do dig down into the soil if the weather is too hot or too cold.

I have put some wire mesh under my soil so that my torts can't dig themselves down too deeply..... plus it keeps out other predators like foxes..... stopping them from digging under the enclosure to get to them. ;)

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hermanns do dig though not in the same league as other species, and it is mainly to get into the soil if they are too hot or cold. I would be more concerned about them climbing!!!
The boundary of Tort Lodge Gardens is down 12 inches and about 2 feet high with an overhang lip to stop adventurous torts helping each other to escape.
X x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users