Photo

Do Hermann's Need A Drinking Bowl/dish In Enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

There seems to be conflicting information as to whether drinking water should be readily available in a tortoise table, or whether it is only available when bathing. If bathed regularly, say every other day, then is drinking water required in the table too?

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I certainly would. The environment is a lot drier in the tortoise table and less humid than it would be in the wild where they can get moisture in other ways.

Plus tortoises only tend to drink deeply when no one is watching! It good to give them the choice. Some never drink while bathing.

#3 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I am a proud owner of two hermann tortoises, Archie aged 6 and Dolly aged 3. I also have a bearded dragon which we rescued called Spike and a cockatiel we called Bubbles, who we affectionately refer to as Bubba Boy..

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

Yes it is necessary. Some tortoises don't appear to drink when in the bath.

If the water dish is kept in the same place, they do learn where it is. I say water should always be available. On a table, I use a water dish surrounded by small stones so that soil doesn't get dragged in. 

I tend to do the same however you can guarantee that a nice clean fresh bowl of water does not stay clean for very long. You would almost think it was done on purpose  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users