• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

I introduced myself a few weeks ago, before I had my tortoise, but as of last night I am now a proud owner of a Hermann tortoise...

Meet Hermie...

YWJAOG1.jpg
kFBcu1c.jpg

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hi Mobile,
Congratulations on your new tortoise 'Hermie'. He looks great. I wish you many happy years with him. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

hi mobile,

congratulation's hermie's lovely :)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Welcome Hermie.... He/ she is lovely. I hope you have plans to post loads of pictures, Mobile, so we can see what he/she gets up to x x hugs x

#5 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I hope you have plans to post loads of pictures, Mobile, so we can see what he/she gets up to x x hugs x

I certainly will. At the moment she is a little shy and spends much of her time burrowed down under and up-turned plant pot. She not too keen on eating either and I'm hoping that this is just due to her settling into her new home?

#6 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hermie's indoor home:

6sS8Huy.jpg
4sdMmis.jpg
FaLO9l6.jpg
NO4Kwze.jpg

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

hi mobile,

hermie's indoor home looks great. :thumbup:

you've done a great job,

just alittle friendly advice, I would move the stone from under the heat lamp it can get too hot, its best just to have soil in the basking area.

also is that a uv strip the other end from the heat if it is then it would be better the other end with your heat bulb. :)

#8 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated. May I ask why you advised on moving the UV fluorescent lamp to the other end? As it's a fluorescent, with external ballast, it doesn't put out much heat.

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

It's really important that your UVB lighting and heat lamp are at the same end of the table for proper bone and shell development.

When tortoises are exposed to UVB light a chemical reaction occurs in their bodies which coverts this to vitamin D3. Their bodies can only do this process correctly if they are exposed to the correct basking temperature at the same time as being exposed to this form of light. This in turn then triggers their calcium metabolism for proper bone growth.

Think of them in the wild..... the sun provides both the heat and the UVB light at the same time. :)

#10 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the info. The basking lamp at the lower end of the table is a Mega-Ray, so provides heat and UV. The flourescent the other end if more for illumination purposes, though it is a UV type. It doesn't really need to be a UV type, but I had a unrequired spare. Given this, is there any issues with keeping it the other end of the table just for illumination?

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

No.... that should be fine then. :)

I do the same thing in my 4 ft table, as it is too dark up that end otherwise.

#12 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

The basking stone is now out and she was basking under the lamp earlier. Hopefully I have the setup good now, but please let me know if anyone things I should change anything else as I'm still learning.

#13 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

awww,hermie look's so cute!your tabletop home looks really good.

Jayne

#14 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

We all like a nice soak now and again...

hXsQA94.jpg

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

how cute, lovely photo. :)

#16 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

She's still a little shy, but starting to 'come out of her shell' a little now and explore the table.

#17 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

What a lovely picture, and such a cute little tort!

Thanks for sharing it with us.  :)

#18 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Does she turn into 'turbo tortoise' when she comes out of her shell Mobile!!!
I have a lovely story about 'turbo tortoise' I read to the children at school and they love it!! Particularly if I take in Chloe or Zoe as a 'prop'....
Brill set up... Bet she will love the sunshine now we are getting some!! X x x hugs x

#19 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

Stella, I'm not surprise that the kids love you taking in the tortoise. My kids are fascinated with ours, though currently she only seems to come out for an hour then buries herself inside her terracotta pot. Being my first tortoise, her behaviour is a little worrying, though she is eating, drinking and starting to explore a little more. I presume that they are typically more active?

#20 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

She will settle down. Personally I would consider a permanent outdoor enclosure so your children can appreciate how torts live.
I take older torts into school so the children can see the large size torts can grow to. And how in the end an indoor tort table will not be adequate x x. Hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users