• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hi I have two Hermanns aged about 3 years, I think... Male and female. They are class pets to my class of 9 and 10 year olds. We have had them or about 3 months, the children help look after them, feeding cleaning etc. though they haven't helped soak them yet. We are having a bigger table built I have been using heat pads but now know I need a basking light. When the table is built I will attempt to post photos. Do I need to leave the basking light on I leave the UVB light on for about 8 hours a day they also have natural light.
Cheers janst

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

hi welcome to the forum. :)

heat mats are no good for tortoises as they need the heat to come from above, so I would remove it as soon as you can.

when you do your new table its best to have your heat bulb and uv at the same end, they both need to be left on for 12 hours then turn them off they don't need any heat at night.

hope that helps. :)

#3 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum

like Karen says remove the heat mat,how lovely that the children are learning how to look after them,do they go out and collect there weeds?i would have loved that experience as a child all we got in the classroom was a goldfish.

Jaynex

#4 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

hi welcome to the forum. :)
heat mats are no good for tortoises as they need the heat to come from above, so I would remove it as soon as you can.
when you do your new table its best to have your heat bulb and uv at the same end, they both need to be left on for 12 hours then turn them off they don't need any heat at night.
hope that helps. :)

H could you help me out with choosing a heat bulb I have been looking at an infared one as in the classroom another bright light would be too distracting

#5 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum
like Karen says remove the heat mat,how lovely that the children are learning how to look after them,do they go out and collect there weeds?i would have loved that experience as a child all we got in the classroom was a goldfish.
Jaynex

Hi I am removing the heat mat soon as I can.
The children love them they are very responsible in caring for them. We are having a new tort table built so I have them at home at the moment and they ask nearly every day when they are coming back to school.
Janet :-D

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

H could you help me out with choosing a heat bulb I have been looking at an infared one as in the classroom another bright light would be too distracting

hi you need to use a bright light, infared bulbs are no good for tortoises, you need the table to be as light as possible.

you can just use a household spot bulb that you get from asda, morrisons etc for a couple of pounds.

then just have the lamp at the right height so you have a basking temp of 32. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users