#1 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I rescued this lady at the end of last summer and to day after bathing her ive noticed worrying discoulourations on her underside,they are pinky and greenish coulour!theres definatly something not right as havent noticed this before!also its seems that i can see her flesh and bones faintly through her shell which i dont like the sound of.i hope this isnt MBD as i give her nutribol atleast 2 thimes a week on her weeds and also have the arcadia t5s so surely this cant be my fault :/i feel so guilty as i care for my torts so much so do think this could be to do with the previous owers husbandry?could it be rot?please help as im worried for her!heres a pic
Regards matt
Attached File  image.jpg   36.4KB   24 downloads

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ive been looking at other topics on this and searching the web the the pinkish and greenish colouring indicate septicemia,is this true?also the discouloured patches are looking like shell rot :(.will she be ok and recover?going to ring up a reptile vet tomorrow to get her looked at :( poor little thing!
Regards matt

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hello Matt, I am sorry that I am unable to help you as I am not experienced enough to offer advice.
I would suggest that as your tort is a 'rescue' damage could have been caused before she came to you. Do you know her background?
You are doing exactly the right thing taking her to a vet! I hope everything goes well and keep us informed x x x tight hugs x x

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi, Matt,

First of all, please don't feel guilty; even with the very best intentions and husbandry, things can go wrong sometimes. I'm no expert by any means, but my first and foremost inclination is to get your tort to a vet without delay. It could be something that can be easily remedied, or something that requires lengthy treatment, but in either event, professional advice is an absolute must. 

Please make an appointment first thing tomorrow, and let us know how you get on.

We're all thinking of you, and wishing a happy outcome.

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks guys for the replies!hi stella,i rescued her for the fact that the owner didnt know how to look after her or have the facilities to keep her but she seems a really healthy tort!im guessing it must be to do with the previous husbandry as ive never come across this before with my other ones or any other health issues thats why im realy panicin:/ from what ive read it seems to be shell rot wich is causing septicemia,i cant understand it as i only put them out for a few hours aday when its sunny this time of year:/.i totally agree with you graham,first thing tomorrow morning am going to ring the local reptile vet and get her booked in as i guess if it is septicemia she can get ill quickly :/i hope its simply treated but i will do what ever it takes to get her over it.yes will keep you imformed!
Thanks again guys
Matt x

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks, Matt, do please keep us posted; I really hope all goes well.

#7 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Matt

hope all goes well at the vets,keep us posted,she's now in good hands.

Jaynex

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hi guys took her to the vets today and ive left her in their hands as ive asked bloods,xrays and poo samples to be done so going to be costly but will keep u all updated when get the results
Matt x

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi Matt,
Hopefully things turn out well. Please keep us updated.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I will be thinking about you.... When are you going back to the vets? X x hugs x

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

hi matt

I hope she's ok.

keep us updated, take care x

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Thanks guys.just picked her up from the vets.shes had her xrays and everything looks fine apart from a few stones thats shes been eating when im not looking the little monkey,luckily she past two of them today at the vets.the bloods and poo sample results should be back ina a couple days so will keep you up dated.:)
Matt xx

#13 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Thanks guys.just picked her up from the vets.shes had her xrays and everything looks fine apart from a few stones thats shes been eating when im not looking the little monkey,luckily she past two of them today at the vets.the vets thinks it could be a fungal infection but fingers crossed that it isnt :/.the bloods and poo sample results should be back ina a couple days so will keep you up dated.:)
Matt xx

#14 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hi, Matt, thanks for keeping us updated, and fingers crossed everything will be fine  :fingers_crossed:

Just out of interest, what course of treatment did the vet prescribe?

#15 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi graham,well the vet hasnt prescribe any antibiotics yet until the blood results come back in a couple days,shes said she will be fine for a couple days until then as shes eating realy well,active and a nice healthy weight so shes not too concerned for the minute but it isnt going to stop me from worrying :/
Regards matt

#16 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'd be fraught with worry too, Matt, but I can see what the vet means; an accurate diagnosis has to be made before commencing with the right treatment.

Really glad to hear she's eating and moving as normal, that's a good sign.

Thinking of you so much, Matt, and hope so so much everything will be ok.

Please keep us informed.

#17 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi Matt

great to hear she's eating okay,hope all the results come back okay keep us posted,keeping fingers crossed all goes well.

Jaynex

#18 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

I rescued this lady at the end of last summer and to day after bathing her ive noticed worrying discoulourations on her underside,they are pinky and greenish coulour!theres definatly something not right as havent noticed this before!also its seems that i can see her flesh and bones faintly through her shell which i dont like the sound of.i hope this isnt MBD as i give her nutribol atleast 2 thimes a week on her weeds and also have the arcadia t5s so surely this cant be my fault :/i feel so guilty as i care for my torts so much so do think this could be to do with the previous owers husbandry?could it be rot?please help as im worried for her!heres a pic
Regards matt
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If she had septicaemia she would be showing other signs. Can you get a clearer pic of the shell? Is she eating well and walking tall on her legs or dragging her shell along. Shell rot, septicaemia and MBD are three totally different things. How old is she? Is she full grown? If not you should be supplementing her daily, especially if you think she has not been cared for previously and preferably with a D3 supplement not containing phosphorous. Make sure your vet knows what he is talking about re tortoises. He will probably want to x-ray and possibly bloods. If they offer a vitamin injection, grab the tort and run to another vet ;)

#19 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

OOps sorry, didn't see all those replies lol

#20 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hi guys,had bloods a poos results back,everythings fine,white blood cell count is normal and kidneys liver and other organs are working fine.she said theres no infection going on so she said just to bath her daily for a few days and just moniter her
Regards matt x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users