Photo

Urgent Help Needed Please!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

That's good news.... I guess it's a case of 'watch this space'. Lets hope things take a turn for the better in the next few days x x x hugs x x

#22 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi graham,well the vet hasnt prescribe any antibiotics yet until the blood results come back in a couple days,shes said she will be fine for a couple days until then as shes eating realy well,active and a nice healthy weight so shes not too concerned for the minute but it isnt going to stop me from worrying :/
Regards matt

Well done that vet - far too many prescribe without waiting for results, with sometimes devastating consequences.

#23 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Yes i hope so stella,will keep close eye on her and will be checking her weight regulary.fingercrossed what ever it is will sort its self out with a bit of nice weather coming our way :) .hi wizzasmum,i agree the vet made a wise discision :)
Matt x

#24 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hi guys its been a while since i brought my female back from the vets,the area seems to be getting worse but shes fine in herself so what could it be?the vets said the was no sign of infection in her bloods but i think its shell rot to be honest!

Attached File  image.jpg   45.76KB   26 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   44.25KB   22 downloads

#25 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi There,
Did the vet check for bacterial or fungal infection?
Freddy

#26 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hi freddy,
Well she did bloods and said the white cell count was normal so there was no sign of infection but can u tell from bloods for both wet and dry rot?i was thinking of using some iodine or curanail on it for the time being but not sure if its ok for them
Regards matt

#27 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi Matt,
I would suggest some diluted iodine solution. I used this in the past for treating Billiejo's shell. It took almost 6 months to see a noticeable improvement. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#28 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Ok brilliant thanks for the advice freddy much appriciated :) will give it ago!!
Regards matt

#29 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi i took her to the vets again to day to see another vet for a different opinion and shes pretty sure its a bacterial infection,as shes in good health and eating/active shes has no major concern at the moment.she gave me some iodine solution which freddy suggested so im happy with rhe out come,im going to wash the area once or twice daily with the iodine and see how it goes from there.
Regards matt

#30 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hi ozric thanks for the reply!
Right so antibiotics could be the way forward then as it help yours to recover?i cant make out why the bloods wasnt picking up any infection,perhaps it was only early stages when i had them done!yes shes totally fine in herself,shes out in the garden alday roaming about,her normal self realy!well i payed £230 for the bloods,poo sample and xrays which i thought wasnt too bad :/ but the vets dont charge for their time to look at them only have to pay obviously if i have any thing used,ie(wormer,antibiotics)then i have to pay for that but normally dont cost me no more than £5 when i go!yes will defo keep updated
Regards matt

#31 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi Matt,
Sometimes Bloods don't pick up bacterial or fungal shell infection but it is quite obvious to the eye. Early treatment is by using an anti-bacterial scrub or in the case of a fungal infection by applying anti-fungal cream. Dilute iodine solution is very effective but can take time.
I would recommend using clean cotton wool daily when applying the iodine solution. This will help stop the spread of the shell infection. The prognosis looks good for your tortoise and I wish you the best of luck with her. Take care, Matt.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#32 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi freddy
Thanks for the advice!im wiping the area 0nce aday with cotten wool,do you think this is enough or more times the better as im guessing it cant do no harm?im going to panic everytime my torts get a scratch now,always going to have some iodine handy lol.ive moved her into a new indoor encloser by night now,destroyed the other one so the bacteria will be defo gone from the encloser.
Regards matt

#33 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi Matt,
Once a day should be sufficient. It is also important that you dilute the iodine with water otherwise it can burn. Bacterial and fungal infections get in to the shell via scute edges or by scute damage, even if slight. They can be caused by damp grassy conditions especially in an outdoor enclosure. They can also occur when torts lie in their own urates for long periods. Moving her to a new indoor enclosure by night should help improve things at least until the temps pick up and you make changes to her outdoor enclosure.
Using some topsoil substrate in her outside area will also help in future.
Best Wishes
Freddy

#34 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hi freddy
Yes where the infection has accured theres a slight lift on the corner of 1 of her scutes so im guessing thats where the infection has got in!ok i will stick to once aday then and yes the vet has watered the sulution down for me but what sort of ratio do you think as i aint going to get it anymore from the vets,will go to my local chemist and do it myself?yes im think its down to the wet spring we have had as they are out in the garden during the day and inside at night which i turn the heat lamps on in the morning for a couple hours before they go out.as for substrate im using newspaper in their indoor encloser,i know its not very natural but its only over night and i find it easy to clean them out and to keep them dry as i worry now about any bacteria harbouring in their encloser.thanks for the advice freddy,much apriciated!
Regards matt

#35 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

1 or 2 drops per cap of water should be fine, Matt. The small bottles of iodine do tend to run out quickly so the chemist is a good idea. A dry substrate would be preferable during this treatment so newspaper should suffice. It will help keep the infected area clean and dry as you say. I would also avoid keeping her outside for long periods on wetter days. Treatment should last about 6 months.
Hope this helps. Take care.
All the best
Freddy

#36 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Ok brilliant cheers freddy as the iodine the vet gave me looks alot more concentrated than what you have said so will water it down more!ok well the weather forcast tomorrow here in somerset dosent look so good so think i may keep her in!thanks again freddy
Regards matt

#37 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi freddy
Thanks for the advice!im wiping the area 0nce aday with cotten wool,do you think this is enough or more times the better as im guessing it cant do no harm?im going to panic everytime my torts get a scratch now,always going to have some iodine handy lol.ive moved her into a new indoor encloser by night now,destroyed the other one so the bacteria will be defo gone from the encloser.
Regards matt

Swabs should have been done for an exterior infection, to be honest.

#38 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ok thanks wizzasmum will get some done!
Regards matt

#39 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Ok thanks wizzasmum will get some done!
Regards matt

It's prob not worth it now, but try to get povidone iodine and dilute it one in ten with water. You can be quite aggressive with the scrubbing of the shell to make sure it gets into cracks that are too small to see and keep it up daily for several months. Eventually you will see that bad areas drop away (you can actually remove any lifted pieces as they will not grow back) and new growth with the same shell pattern appears underneath ;)

#40 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Ok thanks for the tips and advice,most appreciated :) ive just read on the lable on the iodine solution that the vet gave me and the ratio is 50/50 so will water it down for tomorrows aplication!shall i use a tooth brush to scrub the area as thats what i use to clean their shells when i bath them?im a bit nervious when it comes to the damaged shell pealing off as im affraid im going to hurt her so do i bath her in warm water when doing this?
Regards matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users