Photo
- - - - -

Hello, I'm Brand New But Eager To Learn!

Getting started!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 quacker1964

quacker1964

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Birding, Amateur Radio, Football, Oldies Music, Gadgets, Nature&Wildlife Florida!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Well, as new as someone who will be a half century old by the end of next year :)

I've began researching full time over recent weeks.  I want a tortoise and have time and plenty of it to devote to this and now researching.  Not one for doing things half-heartedly (read obsessive planner & researcher or internet fiend) my research points me toward a Hermann's as a first tortoise.  Further research (ok then, a Google search) led me here as I googled specifically for northeast England (I am in Gateshead).

I notice a few people from my area on here, so not only a specific forum but with local assistance on tap.  (apologies in advance to Mildredsmam for the lengthy email :blush:

Before I purchase my first Hermann, I need to learn more - perhaps a few book recommendations, as well as recommended breeders.  I am prepared to travel if necessary, but as my DIY skills are non-existant, would be looking for commercially-built table.  Now I have seen some of these, but would appreciate any pointers from established owners as to the suitability of such items, as well as essential accessories.  Also would appreciate what NOT to buy as it is easy to get suckered in to buying unecessary items.

Apologies in advance for the lengthy opening post.  I just want to ensure that as I learn as I go along it is with minimum harm of any tortoise and while it is very tempting to go out and purchase, I will try and get the equipment in place first.  This research and preparation really paid dividends in the past with tropical fish keeping.

Name is Steve by the way and the plan is to encourage my grandchildren to (9,5 and 3) to take part in the looking after of a pet, though it will be me as the full-time carer of said tortoise.....I might allow them to name him/her though! ;)

Steve

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. We are a friendly helpful bunch. You will get plenty of great advice here. Look forward to talking with you again soon. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I notice a few people from my area on here, so not only a specific forum but with local assistance on tap.  (apologies in advance to Mildredsmam for the lengthy email :blush:

hi steve

welcome to the forum. :)

the email was fine ive replied to it.

#4 quacker1964

quacker1964

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Birding, Amateur Radio, Football, Oldies Music, Gadgets, Nature&Wildlife Florida!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the email both.  Looks like a great place to hangout.  Appreciate the email Karen.  Freddy, I suspect you and I might talk quite a lot as my main interest is birding and I am also known as G0SLQ with a penchant for operating my radios mobile and portable.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Welcome Steve.. Gateshead.... I can hear the accent and the heart starts beating a little quicker... Memories of childhood.., just in case you worry I may be a stalker!!!!
It is lovely to hear you are planning to train up children. I am doing the same with my granddaughter.... She is slowly becoming addicted but I have a long way to go... She is 6 and my son worries what he will do with 9 torts X x x hugs x x
Ps.... There may be more by the time she inherits!!!

#6 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hello Steve

welcome to this friendly forum,post lots of pictures when you get your new little one, :)  :)

Jaynex

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hi Steve, :wave:

Welcome to the forum. :welcomeSign:

#8 quacker1964

quacker1964

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hello friends (include my new-found pretendy stalker from Sheffield lol). I got a couple of books I ordered from Amazon. One of them from vet Lance Jepson. He has confused me with the introduction of sub-species. At the time of publishing they were not regarded officially as "recognised" but not sure if they are now. I refer to TH Herc and TH Pelep as well as the Sardinian Dwarf variation. To think this time acoupleof days ago I thought there was just a Hemann's lol

#9 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Herc was accepted but looks as if its stopping now, and plep hasn't been accepted yet either, by the way I'm in South Shields !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users