Overfeeding question

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joanne_14_*

Guest_joanne_14_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

I have a question already LOL LOL

Can I over feed my baby tortoise, I am feeding the correct food, herbiseed and dandelions, he much prefers the dandelions although he is eating a little bit of the herbiseed, he prefers the big leafed stuff in there rather than the smaller weeds, ,we only got him saturday but he does not seem to have had a problem settling in, but the thing is can i overfeed even the right foods, he is only about 2 inches long, but gobbled up about 8 medium sized dandelion leaves and a small handfull of herbiseed yesteray and not quite as much today, is this to much and will he stop eating when he is full, the dandelion pile was bigger than him LOL LOL. I would hate to make him ill with to much food but dont want him hungry either, i dont know if they will just eat and eat or have the sense to stop when full?

Also when he is in the bath (which he seems to love) he pasess white cloudy stuff into the water and some small amount of egg white stuff is this poo?? or wee (sorry) and if not poo how often do they poo usually as ive not seem him do one yet

Thanks for any info

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

Start weighing him, he only needs to gain 1 or 2 grams a month, the slower the better,he should eat what he needs in about half an hour, see whats left after 1 hour and throw it away.
As for the white stuff, thats pee and you'll know when he poos cause it will be brown/black and smell like camels, well thats how my husband describes it when they've done it on the carpets.lol
:D

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:48 PM

Tortoises really cannot get fat on weeds, its if you have a bad diet such as fruit or dog food.

#4 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:33 PM

Tortoises really cannot get fat on weeds, its if you have a bad diet such as fruit or dog food.

They certainly can get fat on weeds, even too much of the good stuff can lead to overgrowth and pyramiding of the carapace.

Matt.

#5 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

i feed mine all the weeds they want they know when they are full, mine have thrived of weeds, my tunisian eats 3 times the size of herself and her shell has got loads better since i have switched to weeds and she is gaining the right enough of weight. In the wild they have food all around them, do they think oh i better no eat any more else i will get full. Tortoise know when they are full

#6 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

I agree with Matt, young tortoises can over feed on weeds and good foods. They are primed to keep eating in case they dont find any the next day. As food in the wild would be far scarcer than here. A one to two grams a month is a good guide.

#7 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:11 AM

Yes I agree with less feeding when they are tiny and young as they will get lumpy and it's hard to reverse,better safe than sorry.

#8 Guest_lisa0307_*

Guest_lisa0307_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:17 AM

Less is best, in my opinion.:D :D :)

#9 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

i feed mine all the weeds they want they know when they are full, mine have thrived of weeds, my tunisian eats 3 times the size of herself and her shell has got loads better since i have switched to weeds and she is gaining the right enough of weight. In the wild they have food all around them, do they think oh i better no eat any more else i will get full. Tortoise know when they are full

Food is often rather scarce in the wild Sarah, the med species natural habitat is very arid and there is often not a lot of vegetation around. Plus they have to actually go and search for the food so they tend to get a lot more exercise and store less body fat. Torts in captivity in general are fed a lot better than they would eat in the wild and food is given to them on a plate so to speak. This is why even too many weeds can be detrimental in the long run.

Matt.

#10 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:27 AM

Hello

((In the wild they have food all around them, do they think oh i better no eat any more else i will get full. Tortoise know when they are full))

Actually this is not quite true, in the wild they live on what they can find, there terrain is very sparse were food is concerned, so they nibble a bit here and a bit there and in between they may walk quite a distance getting what they need, in the UK they have lazy lives with lush green weeds fed to them daily
Also when it is really hot in the wild they stay undercover, so might not eat for a few days and the same if the weather is cold, but luckily this is when they normally hibernate
Arnie

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

well ok i understand where you are coming from, my tortoises have large areas and they are all very active and use alot of energy. I also hibernate my tortoises so i feed them up for hibernation. They some times dont eat every thing they are given. But my view is that they wont get fat on weeds it is a bad diet.
My yellow foot tortoise was fed on bananas for 4 years off her life i have now managed to switch her to weeds and fruit and she eats all she wants and is lossing a bit of weight (she is fat)
I also make sure my tortoises gain no more than 2 pounds a month and they dont

the tortoise trust says

The reason we have never provided a 'recommended quantity' to feed juveniles is quite simply because there are so many variables involved, and we feel that any such guidelines are as likely to mislead as to help. Some of these variables include

Basking and background temperatures
Amount of daily activity (influenced by temperature and light levels)
Precise make-up of the diet (protein, fiber, mineral content, etc.)
Genetic factors (see below)
Competition and behavior within a group

http://www.tortoiset...les/amteat.html

In fact any tortoise maintained on a really inappropriate diet will become overweight, and ultimately may suffer from fatty infiltration of the liver. Any diet that is high in saturated fat is almost guaranteed to produce this outcome in an herbivorous tortoise.

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:27 PM

I think the answer to this question is weight your tortoise each month and make sure it puts on no more than 2 grams a month. No one can answer how much to feed your tortoise as all tortoises are different just as we are as humans

#13 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

Yep, it's a case of each to their own again, you can combine all the replies and make of it what you will. All good advice though, forgive us all for not agreeing. lol;-)

#14 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:33 PM

This is what a forum is for we dont all have to agree all the time, what works best for one doesnt work for the other. I have tortoises that eat one day and dont eat the next 2 or 3. Tortoises are all different

#15 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:45 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-11-05 AT 04:49 PM (GMT)]Hey Sarah, put your prickles away.lol:) Don't be going all Joanne/nikki on us.lol Heaven forbid

#16 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:47 PM

As much as we'd like to save the world, us Sagittarians can only do our best. Happy Birthday for the 8th, I'm on the 4th.:D

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:57 PM

i didnt mean it nasty, i was just saying that is what a forum is for we dont have to agree all the time, thanks dont want to be any older tho, happy birday to you too. Ive got an interview for teacher training the day before so im not looking forward to that. I get my rescue red foots saturday i cannot wait

#18 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 05:02 PM

No I know you didn't, just joking with ya. Your only as young as the man you feel honey and boy is your man yummy. Wow you better get him for keeps soon. lol:)

#19 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

lol have you been on my faceparty profile

#20 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 05:05 PM

You bet I have honey, get that ring girl, he's tooooo scrummy to let go of. If I was younger, well you can guess the rest. lol:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users