10 Months In

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:1 x Hermanns born July 2011. First tortoise.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hi, I'm Nathan from Ipswich. I bought a 1 year old Hermanns last July called Norm. Its been an awkward first year. I attempted a short hibernation of 6 weeks (on advice of breeder) but had to wake him as he lost too much weight but he seems fine on it. Loving the new warm weather and is tearing about his outside run. Frequently 'lose' him in his run as he digs in the substrate but I'm confident he can't get out so am not too worried. Learnt a lot in 10 months and am getting more confident but still loads to learn! Any advice and comments welcomed

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

hi Nathan.

welcome to the forum. :)

every one on the forum is very friendly and happy to help, so any questions you have just ask.

looking forward to seeing picture's of norm. ;)

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hi Nathan,
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. You will get plenty of great advice here. Look forward to hearing more about your wonderful tort 'Norm'. Hope you enjoy your stay. Take care. Talk soon.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hello Nathan and Norm, and welcome to the forum. You will get loads of advice so ask away if you have anything you are not sure of. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of Norm e jolting the sunshine x x x

#5 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

First question then....Norm spends a lot of his time buried just under the surface next to his favourite plant. Today has hit 21 degrees in his run today yet there he is under his plant with the top of his shell breaking the surface.

Also, will refer to Norm as a 'he' until confirmed otherwise. He will then adopt the name Norman or Norma.

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Was this Norm's indoor or outdoor enclosure? 21 oc is fine as a background ambient temperature, but unless he had direct sunlight or a basking lamp set at at height where he can reach temperatures of 32-34 oc he will remain buried.

My two bury themselves if they're outside and the sun goes in because there's still a bit of a nip in the air. ;)

#7 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

This is in his outdoor run. Its not something that he does indoors under a lamp. Our garden is south facing and very warm when the sun is out (he does have shady options too).

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi Nathan,
Tortoises will bury themselves if too warm or too cold. They are also attracted to the greater humidity found at the base of plants.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Freddy

#9 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

Hi, I'm Nathan from Ipswich. I bought a 1 year old Hermanns last July called Norm. Its been an awkward first year. I attempted a short hibernation of 6 weeks (on advice of breeder) but had to wake him as he lost too much weight but he seems fine on it. Loving the new warm weather and is tearing about his outside run. Frequently 'lose' him in his run as he digs in the substrate but I'm confident he can't get out so am not too worried. Learnt a lot in 10 months and am getting more confident but still loads to learn! Any advice and comments welcomed

I know this is an old post but .. where did you get your tortoise from and do you know if they may have some more hatched since?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users