Improvements

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:1 x Hermanns born July 2011. First tortoise.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Last year I built a run for my tortoise which was a bit sandy, bit grassy and a bit pebbly with an area of coir to bury into inside a house. After reading around and more importantly observing tort behaviour decided for some major changes which I started some weeks ago and are nearing completion-out with most of the grass and in with areas of bark chip, gravel, rockeries (with little crevices to hide in) soft sand/soil mix, and lots of edible plants. Norm now appears to be much happier and roams much much more and seems to behave more naturally. I've tried to look at how Zoos build enclosures and what I have made now looks like a mini version of a zoo enclosure. Its not perfect but I think its much better...any additional advice would be welcomed. Happy tortoising this Bank Holiday weekend. N x

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hi Nathan,
Sounds like you are on top of things with Norm's outdoor enclosure. The improvements you have made sound more natural and seem to be benefiting your tort. Would love to see some pics. Well done again.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Thanks. The idea is to have him in his run for the first few years. We have a terraced garden so will be looking to have the top terrace (8m x 3m) converted and secured for a massive tortoise run (and garden for us)we have quotes for walls and electrics but given the fact he is so small we think the 2.2m x 2.2m juvenile enclosure is a good option.

#4 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'll post photos when next online on a PC rather than Smartphone.

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

looking forward  to seeing pictures.

Jayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users