Supplements

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:1 x Hermanns born July 2011. First tortoise.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Have been adding Komodo supplement powder/dust to Norms weeds. Since rejigging his run he has lots of edible plants. The problem is now that he won't touch his 'treated' weeds and just heads off to the untreated edible plants. Any ideas?

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

How much supplement are you giving - I'm not familiar with that one, but most are in the region of 1 pinch per kilo which is a very tiny amount. Most breeders agree that you are best supplementing, every day with a lesser amount, rather than missing days out and then expecting the tortoise to eat it with a heavy dusting. If you grow the weeds on limestone rich soil and keep your tortoise in the sun or a good quality uvb lamp, you should only need a tiny bit of D3.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

hi Nathan,

ive not heard of komodo powder, so don't know any thing about it.

I use nekton msa and all mine eat their weeds with it on even my hatchlings   http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a24e46357.

might be worth trying a different supplement.  ;)

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

hi Nathan,

ive not heard of komodo powder, so don't know any thing about it.

I use nekton msa and all mine eat their weeds with it on even my hatchlings   http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a24e46357.

might be worth trying a different supplement.  ;)

Agreed - do be sure too that the containers of food you buy are unopened with foil seal intact and not supplied in a plastic bag or re-used container etc. It's very important that the supplement has a good use by date on it as these products do go 'off' very quickly. I get mine direct from the suppliers to make sure of this ;)

#5 Nathan Pittam

Nathan Pittam

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:1 x Hermanns born July 2011. First tortoise.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Its Tortoise Vegetable Diet Premium made by Komodo. Its not pelleted food but powder addition. Its got a Use By date of Oct 2013 and cost £4.99 for 75g. Main ingredients Vit A, B1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12, C, D3, K and E. Calcium pantothenate, spirulina, kelp, pure marigold, probiofic bacteria, choline chloride, phosphorus, calcium carbonate, rosehip, yeast, micronized wheat, biofac, dextrose, alfalfa, wheat flour.

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'd not be adding anything with added phosphorous to be honest. It might be worth changing to Nekton MSA, available from amazon for a similar price for 40mg (plenty for just the one tortoise). Yeast, alfalfa, wheat and rosehip are not a good idea as additives for tortoises, so I would avoid this supplement. I wonder who thought this formulation up :ohmy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users