#1 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hi there,

Not sure if you've seen this but really?

http://www.dailymail...tfits-pets.html

Tim.

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Disgusting :( There is nothing funny about dressing up animals, just look at the expression of dogs being made to wear pyjamas etc. With cold blooded creatures such as tortoises, these items do not keep them warm, but prevent them from getting warm via thermoregulation, as the sun needs to reach the shell in order to warm it. Wrapping them in anything at all just prevents this as they are cold blooded. Frankly I am amazed that people are silly enough not to see how much harm they could be doing.:(

#3 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hi there,

I know that you know that but this was the Daily Mail what more can I say.

Even though it is cold outside here in West Yorkshire Harriet would still not be wearing such a silly coat.

Tim.

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well there you go then, the very same paper that tried to make a complete fool of my very best friend some years ago.

One reason, I never agree to do interviews re torts etc, they are usually much more interested in taking the piddle ;)

I don't think they were completely to blame for this one though, as the owner seems to be happily displaying her 'wares'. My torts were all inside keeping warm today too :(

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

The weather has been pretty poor here in Ireland too with maximum temps averaging 11 degrees for the past month or so. Billiejo has been indoors a lot. I hope things pick up soon.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I agree Freddy, what a dip in the weather after a lovely few days. My gang are holed up indoors too. Maurice gets to the door of Tort Lodge to survey his empire, but that's as far as he goes.... Chloe seems to be brave enough for a wander out, but it doesn't last long x x hugs x

#7 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think summer has come and gone in those few nice days we had,lousy weather here my torts ventured out for a while but soon went back in to there house i dont blame them, and those silly coats how stupid for torts.

Jaynex

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Ive never seen anything so stupid in my life!the problem is,alot of people will think its adorable and she will sell plenty of these but come on this has to be harmful to the tortoise as surely uv rays cant penetrate that rubbish and also can be a fire hazzard especially if worn where heat bulbs are being used!just my opinion! :/i
Regards matt

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Exactly and the lady obviously has no knowledge of how a tortoise shell works or she would know that this is actually preventing it from warming up rather than the opposite - poor torts :(

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Exactly wizzasmum,going to be alot of sick tortoises in the near future at this rate :/

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm thinking sadly that in the future, tortoises are going to be going the same way as dogs and other popular pets, with a huge increase in vets visits and many more deaths :(

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yes it makes me angry as these are beatiful creatures and human kind in generations will have a massive impact on their population :/
Regards matt

#13 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Disgusting :( There is nothing funny about dressing up animals, just look at the expression of dogs being made to wear pyjamas etc. With cold blooded creatures such as tortoises, these items do not keep them warm, but prevent them from getting warm via thermoregulation, as the sun needs to reach the shell in order to warm it. Wrapping them in anything at all just prevents this as they are cold blooded. Frankly I am amazed that people are silly enough not to see how much harm they could be doing. :(

its not funny of this instance but bobby loves wearing his newcastle top on match days :D

#14 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Recently there have been lots of torts in TV ads, and not all of them are looking their best x

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

No, because anyone with any sense will not let their animals be exploited in this way. Both myself and a friend who run a sanctuary are asked to do things like this, but we always refuse as they are usually out to exploit either the animal or the owners. Some years back the Daily Mail (shame on them) visited a friend regarding an article about fridge hibernation. When the owners back was turned, they added food to the fridges and left tortoises exposed while they took pics which they later published - disgusting. All it did was to serve to make her a laughing stock and to encourage those who should know better, to make snide comments on forums. It's a bit like those TV programmes about people with odd pets. The producers don't give a damn about the animals, just giving us all a laugh. I would not trust a TV producer as far as I could throw them lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users