• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hi my tortoise live in my classroom at school they have a basking lamp on during the day but the classroom gets cold at night. I am worried they will get cold, they live on coco coir bedding which they burrow into, they have a plant pot to hide in. Will they become ill if they get cold?

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

In nature, hermanns tortoises get very cold at night at either end of the season (been there and monitored temps), so unless your temps stay cold with no lamps the following day, they will be fine. The lamp stimulate them to wake and carry on as normal. Burrowing into a good depth of coir allows good thermoregulation.  Over winter, you will need alternative arrangements, the best of which is hibernation. It's also worth noting that hermanns tortoises do best when kept outdoors in summer, once the dangers of frosts are past and that permanent indoor housing is not good for them ;)

#3 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

I have increased the depth of substrate, and added a hide, they seem more lively as the children keep telling me they are climbing on everything and trying to escape! Don't worry the sides are too high.
I am organising a safe enclosure to put them outside but as our weather is still cold I have time to sort it out.

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi janst4
I keep my torts in my brick shed over nite,unless its forcasted frost i dont give them any heat over night,put the heat lamps on in the morning and they are fine,its more natural as there temps in the wild over night can drop to low figures!
Regards matt

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi Janst,
Like Ozric I like to keep my tortoise at temps of at least 12 degrees but I am also mindful that she is an adult and much bigger. Younger, smaller tortoises are indeed more susceptible to colder temps and lose heat easily. A good solution is to provide a deep substrate as you have done. Tortoises will burrow into this if too cold and maintain good body temperature and thermoregulation. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi ozric
Yes i do agree that our night time temps are alot lower than there natural enviroments by night at day but my shed normally sits around 9-10c at night this time of year as its attached to the side of the house so gains warmth from that but if frost are given i use a little heat to keep it that slightly warmer,my torts are adults but like you suggested id keep young ones at a nice steady temperature.:)
Regards matt

#7 Janst4

Janst4

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks to you all for helpful advice. :-)

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

I would suggest that people who think it is 20 degrees in the Med at night, sleep on a camp bed at ground level ;) It's colder than you think ;) It's quite warm and stuffy in buildings but not inland in fields etc. or at least not where we have been tort watching ;)

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

http://www.tortoiset...rtoises_web.pdf

#10 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Excellent guide to tortoise keeping, Sue. Thanks for posting.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

It wasn't meant to be an argument, just that during our experiments in the areas where tortoises are found in the Med (which included sleeping at ground level and monitoring 'ground' not air temps) measured right down to five degrees at nesting time. We needed several blankets to keep warm. Torts dug in overnight and were up nesting the following day ;) In the height of summer of course, with overnight temps of 20 degrees, they would be aestivating for the most part for several days and even weeks at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users