#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

hi Jayne

im not sure what the first one are but the last two pics are garlic mustard ( jack by the hedge)  http://www.thetortoi...19.asp?catID=16

have you had a look through the tortoise table   http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp. :)

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

The middle pic looks like Meadow Saxifrage to me, which is edible, but I'd want more positive identification before feeding.

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hello

thank you so much,i will post some more pictures of the flowered plant.

Jaynex

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Be very very careful feeding too much cleavers - although edible it contains a substance that can be harmful to the liver. I forget the name of the substance, but it was mentioned on Tortoise Nutrition site, which I trust above any site in this country ;)

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Totally agree, Sue, the substance I think is called coumarin; and, if my old biology lessons ( and Wikipedia ) serve me correctly,  can be mildly toxic to the liver. According to resources, these plants are ok in moderation, but should not constitute a high percentage of a tort's diet.

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have a tendency to avoid feeding anything that isn't classed as 'safe'. I think the idea 'in moderation' can be subject to personal interpretation!!! There seems plenty of 'safe' weeds and plants to be able to avoid the other stuff x x x hugs x x

#8 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

My opinion, exactly, Stella; there are plenty of 'green light/perfectly safe' plants to feed, amply giving our torts a wide, varied diet, without resorting to 'moderation' foods. I go mainly by the Tortoise Table's recommendations for anything before feeding it to Harry. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users