Photo

My Indoor Enclosure, Need Some Advice; Making It Larger!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hi everyone hope your all okay?! This is my current enclosure for my 2 year old hermans! First of all please give me feedback as to what you guys think of it?

The substrate is 70/30 mix of top soil and pro rep tortoise life, i use a Arcadia T5 D3+ tube for UVA and UVB light and then there is an Exo Terra small lamp with a 100W basking bulb which is controlled by a habitat (dimmer thermostat) controlled at 31-33 degrees centigrade. I also have a electronic thermometer in there just to double check temps as you can see in the pics!

Basically i am thinking of making the enclosure twice the size by buying a new Vivexotic tortoise table, joining the two together to get double the length  :D  What do you guys think i need to do about lighting/heating the other side?

Would i be okay to just move the heat lamp further down the other end once the new table is attached? Or/and would i need another Arcadia T5 D3+ bulb etc to light up the other side (new side which would be to the right of the table in the pic)?

I really hope you understand what i mean and i haven't complicated that too much!? In a nutshell i want to add another table to the right of the current one to double the size for my tort, would i need lighting in the right hand table once installed? As my current T5 bulb is only 22/24" in length!

Thank you and i look forward to your advice and feedback!

Jay  :P

Attached File  IMG_1621.JPG   35.28KB   27 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1622.JPG   35.82KB   27 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1623.JPG   30.52KB   31 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1624.JPG   37.23KB   31 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1625.JPG   42.45KB   26 downloads

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hello Jay

your tort has a lovely tabletop,will the new section also have a cool end hideaway like in the picture?will all  the end section of the tabletop be taken out or a walk through section?i would put a longer uva/uvb tube to give more light and move the basking light towards the middle,worth posting some pictures while in preparation,some put two basking spots in if needed for larger areas,look forward to seeing pictures.

Jaynex

#3 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hi Jayne, yes the middle will have a semi-circle cut out so he can walk through to the new section and thanks i will buy some longer UVA/UVB bulbs which will suit the new length and i will move the heat lamp further away to create a wider spread of heat and see how that goes!

And yes great idea il take some pictures along the way i am also building an outdoor paradise for him too (for when the weather is half decent haha) so i will get the pics up of building that on the weekend as i will be building it on Saturday! 

Thanks for the advice!

Regards, Jay :)

Hello Jay

your tort has a lovely tabletop,will the new section also have a cool end hideaway like in the picture?will all  the end section of the tabletop be taken out or a walk through section?i would put a longer uva/uvb tube to give more light and move the basking light towards the middle,worth posting some pictures while in preparation,some put two basking spots in if needed for larger areas,look forward to seeing pictures.

Jaynex

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Jay

sounds like your going to be busy let's hope the weather cheers up,there are some pictures in the indoor and the outdoor  section that can also give you some great ideas.

Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users