• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Very new to this, got my hermann yesterday. He is 3 years old and from Macedonia.

Quite annoyed I didn't do more research before buying but we all make mistakes.

I have a wooden viv with glass front (don't shout at me), uv bulb and thermostat regulated heat bulb for a hot spot. He has a little wooden thing he sleeps under and his viv is filled with desert sand.

Now after reading up lots on here obviously this is a completely wrong set up! So looking to get a table. But would I be able to use the same uv bulb and heat bulb set up in a table?

Feed him salad mixes with no iceberg just mixed leaves really. With the added calcium powder.

He keeps trying to get out which is really hard to watch so table is in the pipeline.

Any advice would be very welcomed. I've read a few topics and seems there are very different opinions but been on the links to why vivs are bad etc.

Thanks guys, this is Martin!

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

hi welcome to the forum. :)

your new tortoise is lovely.

yes you should be able to use the uv and heat from the viv in the new table you make, if you have a look through our indoor enclosure section you might get some ideas for when your making your new tortoise table.

have a read of this as well   http://www.tortsmad.com/indoor.htm.

the best diet for your tortoise is a weed/ plant diet have a look on here it tells you what's good to feed and what's not  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp  :)

any questions you have just ask. :)

#3 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the links, very helpful. So I take it topsoil is better than sand? Spoke to a couple of people and both divided on the viv/table debate! Will he be okay in the viv short term till I can source a table and topsoil etc?

I am definitely not a plant person, nor is my girlfriend so we're struggling with the weeds/plants on the list but do recognise a few so will try and source them. Not sure where to find them but I'll do some more research! The bag of mixed leaves we have currently contains rocket, Virgil, Apollo lettuce and Saigon leaves. Are they okay for now? Also grated carrot and a tiny slice of cucumber!

A other question, his shell is slightly rigged like where the black is, not major just slight. Is this the start of pyramiding? Or just natural?

Thanks again!

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum

looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of your tort.There are some great designs of tabletop homes in the indoor section to give you some great ideas especially if you are good at diy,some use bookcases,wardrobes, indoor plastic rabbit hutches,topsoil is the ideal substrate,there are quite a few links for getting pictures for edible and non edible weeds/plants if ever you are stuck you can take pictures and post them on the forum there is always someone to help,enjoy your new little tort. 

Jaynex

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for the links, very helpful. So I take it topsoil is better than sand? Spoke to a couple of people and both divided on the viv/table debate! Will he be okay in the viv short term till I can source a table and topsoil etc?

I am definitely not a plant person, nor is my girlfriend so we're struggling with the weeds/plants on the list but do recognise a few so will try and source them. Not sure where to find them but I'll do some more research! The bag of mixed leaves we have currently contains rocket, Virgil, Apollo lettuce and Saigon leaves. Are they okay for now? Also grated carrot and a tiny slice of cucumber!

A other question, his shell is slightly rigged like where the black is, not major just slight. Is this the start of pyramiding? Or just natural?

Thanks again!

hi yes topsoil is a lot better as a substrate than sand, sand isn't very good at all its to dry and it can also cause eye problems.

with the weeds/ plants it will take you some time to get to know what they are just try and id one weed at a time before you know it you'll know loads.

as Jayne has said if your unsure you can always post a picture of the weed/ plant to see if someone can id it for you,

also don't feed any fruit or veg.

she'll be ok in the viv short term but worth thinking that tortoises don't like change and can take them some time to settle in to a new enclosure so might be worth trying to sort before she settles into the viv, you could open one of the doors a little to let more air in.

for the shell you would have to post a picture so we can see. :)

#6 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yeah I've read sand can cause eye problems. My sisters fiancé is a joiner so going to get him to build me a table, seen some good designs online. Yeah I will do, seen a lot of people taking about buying seeds and growing their own. Can you do this indoors or do they have to be grown outdoors? Also how long do they take to grow? We left the glass open a little bit yesterday and I came in from work and he managed to get outM loves exploring!

Had him out in the garden yesterday and loved it! Didn't really go for any dandelions though but maybe he wasn't hungry! I'll post a picture of a close up with his shell and hopefully you can tell me if its normal or not.

You said no veg, so carrot isn't good? He seems to love it! But if its not good I'll stop!

Thanks!

#7 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Here's his shell close up

Attached Files

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hi There,
Welcome to the forum. The ridged dark areas on your torts shell are just growth rings. Perfectly normal. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Okay doke thanks freddy!

#10 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

That's great thanks. I thought about a strip of wood along the bottom might try that out.

Has anyone ever used a rabbit cage as a table for their tortoise? I have one and thought it might work out pretty good. Deep enough for soil so he can burrow and plenty big enough!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users