• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

i rang my vet well.. actually i rang my tortoise vets and they said just over £20 for it is this about the average price ?

im not getting it just yet but i am thinking soon as he is due a health check anyway :)

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hi mark,
Ive never had any of mine micro chipped as of yet but yes i think its around that sort of price give or take i think.if your not planning on selling your tortise or breeding then i would worry about it just yet thats why ive never had any of my adults done!how old is your tort as it has known to have caused problems getting chipped too young.its entirely upto but i wouldnt worry about it too much.hopefully some1 will come along soon to help with prices.
Regards matt

#3 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hey matt, 

Thanks for the info i just thought i would look into it because he is 10 now and i will be looking to breed him maybe in around another 7-10 years by the time ive raised some females too. I was only asking if it sounded right hes not getting done for a while yet !

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

That sounds about right, unless you have a really good relationship with your vet ;)  I don't have mine done until they need to be registered and am a bit wary of the nanochips to be honest as they were not originally intended to be a long term solution and supposedly have a lifespan of around 10 years which would prove useless to tortoises :(

#5 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

That sounds about right, unless you have a really good relationship with your vet ;)  I don't have mine done until they need to be registered and am a bit wary of the nanochips to be honest as they were not originally intended to be a long term solution and supposedly have a lifespan of around 10 years which would prove useless to tortoises :(

That sounds interesting !
I mean he's 10 year old now he's 5 1/4" long now and there's no way I want to be microchipping him soon though when the time does come though should I be fitting him with the origional you think ?

These certificates are silly really since you don't have to chip them but the certificate is only valid up to 100mm

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

I think the topic of to micro chip or not can be likened to sending your child to nursery school. At one point it was your choice to give your child nursery education...., and then things changed!!! If you didn't send your child off to nursery then you were neglecting it..... Now it is almost compulsory..
So micro chipping.... It is your choice now.... Compulsory if you plan breeding. But how soon will it deminish your suitability to look after torts if they are not micro chipped. X x x hugs x x

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

That sounds interesting !
I mean he's 10 year old now he's 5 1/4" long now and there's no way I want to be microchipping him soon though when the time does come though should I be fitting him with the origional you think ?

These certificates are silly really since you don't have to chip them but the certificate is only valid up to 100mm

Well, not quite - the certificate is still valid as long as you have the tortoise and you still need it if you update, but getting a new cert or chip is only necessary if you want to breed from or sell the animal. I only have my breeding torts chipped. I would want to know more about the nano chips from the manufacturer before I would use them. It was a vet who told me they will not last the lifetime of a tortoise.

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hi mark,
Yes if you looking breed him them your right in getting him chipped!sorry didnt see your other thread,splat looks great and his smooth shell growth is to be jealous of :)

I agree with sue that the cert is still valid even tho you dont have them chipped as a microchip in my eyes aint natural especially to reptiles having a an object incerted in them,unless you have to get them chipped i woudnt bother,just my opinion :)
Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users