9 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography , dogs , crafts , tortoises, floristry

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

My tortoise has laid 3 eggs 2/3 weeks ago. She had been in contact with a male last summer . The eggs were laid about a month after coming out of hibernation . Can anybody with experience tell me if they look viable. One egg came out with a white spot on top which is getting bigger. What is the white spot ? Is it the air sac. ? Would it grow even if infertile ?I cannot see anything else in the eggs yet . I have them incubating at 31.5 and 80 humidity in my home made incubator. I will now try to post the picture. Would love some advise as don't want to build my hope up .

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have absolutely no idea!!!! My girls laid eggs last year which didn't amount to much. I know that the female can hold into fertilised eggs for a number of years.... So the eggs may be fertilised....
I am sure someone will be along to advise you.... I would love babes!!!! X x x hugs x x

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi Wendy and Buttercup,
Welcome to the forum. I too am not very experienced when it comes to breeding or eggs. 'Wizzasmum' one of our most experienced members would be the best person to ask. Hopefully, she will be here a little later on. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

We are not very good Freddy are we?!!! X x x hugs x

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

'fraid not, Stella. Not on this one, anyway!ha!ha! Take care.
Best wishes
Freddy

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

hi wendy,

welcome to the forum. :)

if your eggs are 21 days ( 3 weeks ) then I would of thought by now you would be able to see the ring of life in them, a small red circle.

but if there only 2 weeks you might not see that just yet, I would still leave them a bit longer and maybe take another photo in a week or two.

hope that helps. ;)

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

I have absolutely no idea!!!! My girls laid eggs last year which didn't amount to much. I know that the female can hold into fertilised eggs for a number of years.... So the eggs may be fertilised....
I am sure someone will be along to advise you.... I would love babes!!!! X x x hugs x x

It's the sperm they hang on to Stella, to fertilise future eggs in the absence of a male ;)  Glad I am not a tortoise :D

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

As they are not yet half way, I would just wait and see. I don't candle eggs any more as some say it can damage the embryo. Not sure how they know that though as not all eggs are always fertile anyway. The white spot sometimes appears quite soon after laying but is not always an indicator of a viable egg. They are looking Ok though so I would just wait and see. The air sac does not appear just yet, it's caused by the embryo pulling the membrane down when the egg is getting full of the baby tort.

#9 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography , dogs , crafts , tortoises, floristry

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone. It's so hard not to keep peeking at them. I will resist though . Great advise from you all . There are definitely changes in the eggs . Prob a silly question but does the yolk and the white spot get bigger even if infertile ? Clutching at straws !!!

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

If by white spot you mean the chalky patch, it usually covers the whole egg. The yolk is the food, so it does not get bigger. If the egg is infertile and it dries out it can change in appearance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users