14 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography , dogs , crafts , tortoises, floristry

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I thought I would share this fascinating X-ray of Buttercup . I brought her in from the garden a few weeks ago and was horrified to see she was bleeding and had a prolapse from her cloaca. After an X-ray and inspection at the vets it was discovered not only had she 3 eggs ready to lay but her insides were full of little white stones !!!. Fortunately she was able to eventually pass the stones and has also laid her eggs . I have now moved her outdoor enclosure onto a hard surface and she now has plenty of cuttlefish fish . I had no idea she had developed a stone eating habit which I'm sure cant be good for them but maybe somebody might tell me differently . !!

Attached Files

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hi wendy,
My female has taste for stones too,i thought she was full of eggs but full of stones lol.i try to pick up every stone i see in the garden but she still finds them,luckily she has had any probs passing them as yet but its a right pain in the bum!i suppliment her with nutibol and offer cuttlefish but she still does it!good thing tho her beaks always in good shape lol.im glad buttercup has passed them safely and has laid her eggs :)
Regards matt

Attached File  image.jpg   22.13KB   13 downloads

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thing is, if torts change habitat they always taste it. Stones don't usually pose a problem as what fits in one end will generally come out the other, but these look like stone chippings on the x-ray which is not a good substrate. I would not necessarily remove stones as natural habitats are full of them. One of my little ones once passed a string of poops that looked like a little necklace. She was a tortoise that had been taken in at nights as she had been unwell - they caused her no problems as they were natural stones as in part of the soil, but chippings are a different thing altogether. Many tortoise x-rays will reveal a few stones, which would also happen in the wild ;)  I would not put her onto hard substrate if she was mine as that prevents digging down and natural thermoregulation, which may well pose other problems  ;) Just my opinion of course.

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Peta, the smallest of my creep is often picking up small stones.... And passing them onwards!!!
The older ones never do, or not that I have seen. But as Sue mentioned, it is difficult to clear a natural area of all the things we would prefer our torts not to eat.
I read somewhere, and I cannot recall where, that when xrayed, wild torts are riddled with stones!!! Maybe it is something they do!!! X x. Hugs x x

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Just as an observation regarding Sue saying torts 'taste' their new habitats.... Today I have been putting plants in Tort Lodge Gardens.... And I have been followed round with torts 'inspecting' what I have been doing.... Prompting a lot if soil eating!!! X x x hugs x x

#6 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography , dogs , crafts , tortoises, floristry

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for all your replies. i have built up areas of deep soil on the hard surface for her to dig in and also planted an area full of weeds . It is just  temporary  until we move into our new home, where she will have her own, stone free purpose built garden.

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

There have been suggestions by people researching into wild tortoises that it is possibly something that they need to do, but not having a gizzard/crop, like grit eating birds, it's obviously not for the same reason. I honestly don't think it is cause for concern unless you have them on gravel chippings as opposed to pebbles. Chippings, like all stones will work themselves up through any soil over the years, so we just need to keep an eye on what is lying on the top when we turn the soil over ;)

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Today two of my torts have been soil eating.... I don't know why! Martha and Peta (the famed constant pebble eater), actually moved the slate substrate to get to the soil.
I do not understand why as their outdoor enclosure was built on poor reclaimed top soil.
I moved them.... And they went back
I placed limestone flour in front of them ..They ate soil.
Why x x x hugs x.
I

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

I read somewhere that torts eat grit and small stones when their diet lacks taste or texture. Dunno how true it is?
Best wishes
Freddy

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Taste and texture.... Fresh weeds, planted tort friendly plants, scattered cuttlefish bone, limestone flour, water... Running and still...what more can be provided!
I think they have a teenagers mentality..... Pushing the boundaries.... And as an adult.... I am not falling for it x x x hugs x

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

ha! ha! said like a true educator, Stella! LOL!
Take care
Freddy

#12 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

I am so glad to hear these stones pass, i put gravel in tillys enclosure and yesterday she poo'd a stone, was in a panic thought we off to find a tortie vet that been recomended in Lichfield, but she eating pooing etc normally so think she staying in table today and a bit of excavation (spelt wrongly) takes place in her outside run... And a close eye kept for while on poos xxx

#13 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Jessy... I wouldn't worry about the stone eating... And to be honest I think you will give up moving your tort on before she stops eating stones!! I don't know why some persevere and others never bother. X x x hugs x x

#14 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Thanks stella, i have took the gravel out n replaced with pebbles so can relax now that she wont eat many more xx just glad saw this post to put my mind at rest xx

#15 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

I am sure you think you are safe from 'stone eating'.... But my experience says that they will find stones no matter hoe difficult you make it. The best thing that is on your mind you have provided the best substrate you can ..,,, so let them get in with it..... X x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users