• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've just finished constructing Hermie's outdoor enclosure this weekend, having completed it last weekend but finding that the top soil had poor drainage so had to replace it:

yl0A6vg.jpg

KpobxZd.jpg

sDSL1Gl.jpg

5HdvjZ2.jpg

Kk882rg.jpg

XCr32Sk.jpg

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

It looks great with plenty of space. Hermie will love it. You've done a great job. Well done!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hermies outdoor home looks great. You have done a good job.. I bet it won't be long before she decides everything is in the wrong place!! X c x hugs x x

#4 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think the biggest challenge for me will be to find her. She is terrible for digging!

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

you've done a brilliant job, it look's great. :)

hermie will love it been outside in the sun.

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

They are so funny aren't they?? I have watched Martha's Friend all day struggle to climb a mound of soil.... And then slide back down!!! Then go back and do the same again... X x x hugs x x

#7 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

She's a lazy brute, spending much of her day buried in the soil asleep... reminds me of a teenager (not the buried in soil bit :D ) Hopefully being out in the sun and fresh air will liven her up a little, though since putting her in the outside enclosure she has spend much of her time buried under the Oregano asleep  :rolleyes: 

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

One of mine doesn't stir til midday. .. She is probably a teenager too in tort years. X x x hugs x x

#9 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Mines worse than that... unless you get her up then she stays in her bed!

#10 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hermie is cuter than we think sheltering from the sun under the Oregano. Looks like she picked the best spot too! Little devil!LOL
Best wishes
Freddy

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Just one thing I would change and that is the plastic box. It needs to have no base, so that Hermie can dig down in there, this will help maintain hydration and temps ;)

#12 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Just one thing I would change and that is the plastic box. It needs to have no base, so that Hermie can dig down in there, this will help maintain hydration and temps ;)

The box contains coir, which is the same media that she likes to dig down into in her indoor enclosure - though so far she has shown zero interest in going into the box. I have bought a hamster 'Igloo' from Pets at Home today, which has no base and I've also added a terracotta pot and water bowl (terracotta saucer).

Today is the second day I have put her into the outdoor enclosure and she appears to have a preference to digging under the Oregano.

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

That's likely because she cannot dig in her hide area ;)  If she cannot dig in her hide, she will dig elsewhere and if the weather is poor, she may not do so well ;) She may do better with a dark hide as opposed to clear. She needs to be protected from the elements when outdoors or she may not get up in the morning.

#14 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

She now has a plastic igloo, a hollow half log and a terracotta pot, all with open bottoms, in her outdoor enclosure and she still prefers to dig under the oregano!

Currently I am not leaving he out all day, as the weather hasn't been that good, plus I bring her inside every night.

#15 missionhermanntortie

missionhermanntortie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

Love your enclosure. Did you knock it up yourself or did you buy a kit? How old is Hermie. Thanks for posting really clear photos as I am just about to start building a tortoise garden x

#16 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

Love your enclosure. Did you knock it up yourself or did you buy a kit? How old is Hermie. Thanks for posting really clear photos as I am just about to start building a tortoise garden x

I bought it as a raised bed off ebay and added some weed membrane to the underneath. The seller made it a custom size fo me :)

If you are buying topsoil to fill yours then I sugegst you check out the quality first, as the first lot I bought was very claggy and wouldn't drain, so I ended up having to empty it all out and replace it.

#17 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Yes, it has a mesh frame that goes on top when Hermie is in there. Where I live she would probably get lifted by seagulls if there was no cover. I also have a lightweight white tarpaulin that I can cover it with in very wet weather, so it doesn't get too waterlogged.

I've made a few minor changes to the layout, but nothing much. I mentioned a plastic igloo earlier in this thread, but she took no interest in it at all, so I removed it. Here's a picture of how it looks currently. I have also sowed a few weed seeds which you might be able to see at bottom right, but they have only just started sprouting.

LR5JtEu.jpg

#18 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I have mesh covers on mine too.... mainly because I have three cats and I don't want the enclosure being used as a littler tray!

One of my cats loves flipping my little tort on her back too.... so for me mesh is a must! :laugh:

#19 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

I don't have mesh as my torts are quite big .... However I have been checking out fruit cages.,.. That is only because I need to be able to walk into the enclosure x x x

#20 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

I don't have mesh as my torts are quite big .... However I have been checking out fruit cages.,.. That is only because I need to be able to walk into the enclosure x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users