• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Right so I'm giving the pens a re-do the leopard pen is fine (70% is just grass) the hermann has a hide, I'm going to make a new coldframe as he's too big for his old one and I 50% of his outdoor enclosure is turned over soil and the other 50 is grass with weeds and clover in it. I've planted some yellow pansy in there (3) one in the grassed area and 2 in his soiled area. My question is can I use the compost as a sort of top soil as my dad has heaps of it because it'll also help the pansy grow and the others I'm going to plant in there.

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi Mark,
If it is the type of compost sold in a garden center, It would contain chemicals and other additives which are best avoided for a tortoise enclosure. That's why plain old topsoil is the safest and best substrate to use. Hope this helps.
Take care
Freddy

#3 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Yeah thanks it is ! I will just wait for some topsoil then when I can get to wickes or B&Q or something !

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

I use the bags of sterilised top soil Mark. I am afraid it is no good for growing huge healthy looking bedding plants like petunia and nasturtiums.... But at least they are safe for torts to eat.... Which is why I guess weeds are the best food for them!! X x x hugs x x

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Or you could dig some soil from the garden ;)

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

My question is,why do we use sterilized topsoil as too normal topsoil,i know its heat treated so kills all bugs and parasites but when our torts are out in the garden their soil aint sterilized ?
Regards matt

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Exactly, which is my outdoor torts get nothing added other than limestone. To my mind torts that are coddled are the ones that usually need vets ;)  A bit of tough love, never did them any harm and probably helps build up resistance at the same time.

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

So having grown the weediest looking petunias in the whole of Yorkshire... Are we saying that I could have grown them lushily in ordinary potting compost!!
I was always led to believe chemicals ended up in the plants and therefore not good for tort consumption X x x hugs x x

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Exactly sue,its like children if their mommy cuddled to much ie not allowed to get dirty they are ill all the time,its good for them to build a resistence like you said sue!ive been useing non sterilized top soil for a couple years now just wanted to ask the question first before addmitting. lol.its cheaper and easier to find!

Hi stella
Well potting compost has fetilizers and other chemicals in them which isnt good for any animals to be honest so i wouldnt suggest using that but normal topsoil or like sue said soil from your garden is fine!im not sure if you can use horse or sheep manure in the soil where weeds are grown as they would make them grown massive and it more natural but maybe some1 can give us an answer on that 1 shortly!
Regards matt

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

If the horse poop contains nitrogen, which I assume it does, then that CAN come through into the plant, but they would eat foods in the wild that were growing out of a cow pat and I actually saw an ibera nesting on a pile of donkey poo in Antalya lol

Just checking font size and it does indeed say 24 in massive numbers, but it does not show in my text - odd that!

#11 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Yes im guessing horse poop has nitrogen in it,i didnt think of that lol.so in the wild they would come across plants rich in nitrogen now and again so its not a good idea to grow all weeds in ntrogen rich soil,that answers my question lol.ha realy,thats a good spot to choose to lay your eggs,poor babies thats a great start to life hatching in a pile on donkey poop lol :)

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Weeds tend to thrive best in poor soil not rich!
Take care.
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users