Digging In

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

There has been a lot of advice regarding torts 'digging down'.....
Despite giving a lot of opportunity for this activity none have yet taken this onboard. How much do our torts do this x

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi Stella,
I have always understood that torts tend to 'dig down'(burrow down) if too warm or too cold. They do this to provide good body temperature and thermoregulation. Tortoises also 'dig down' under fences when they wish to escape. I'm sure we've all had experience of this. On the other hand tortoises usually 'dig in' (bury themselves) coming up to hibernation if kept outdoors, particularly when temperatures drop. This is instinctive and mimics what they do in the wild when they bury themselves below the soil surface in order to maintain steady hibernation temps. It can be a nuisance when tortoises 'dig in' as very often they have to be dug right back up again. The only way to avoid this, I feel, is to provide sufficient heat and cover from the elements on cooler days. Also, making sure outdoor enclosures have no areas of deep, soft soil can help stop tortoises from 'digging in'. I'm not too sure whether this answers your question Stella, but I hope I have covered the main reasons why it is tortoises dig. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users