• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Finally put some top soil in the viv, still waiting in the table getting made so thought I'd introduce things to him in stages rather than me big change!

How do people clean it? We've been spot cleaning the sand and changed it weekly. Similar idea?

And how often do you water it! How wet do you want it to be?

Thanks guys

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hello

I clean my topsoil daily in there outside house,my torts have daily baths so they poo regular in there baths as they stay in for quite a while now,i turn there soil over so its not just sprayed on the top,i just water the topsoil when it dries out too much,when it goes dusty,as my torts love to dig deep in there soil as  they are horsfield's.

Jaynex

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

I water mine regularly - if sprayed it evaporates and if it is left to dry it is hard to hydrate and for them to thermoregulate properly If you water the soil so that it stays damp at the bottom, this is what you are looking for and the tortoise will choose the area that is right for it. I never dig the soil as it should be the same consistency as in the wild, not like a veg garden ;) If your soil is kept at the correct humidity, you will not need to bathe the tortoise as digging down maintains hydration, the same as in wild ones ;)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Sue.... It looks like you are shouting... Your lettering is big!!!!
I usually get the hosepipe in Tort Lodge and the conservatory extension. I give it a good soaking and leave it to drain down.
These last few days when it has been hot I have also watered Tort Lodge Gardens.... X x x hugs x x

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

That is really weird as it is really small on my screen and others have bigger lettering - why could this be?

Hot weather - are you really in the UK Stella lol We have had rain since Monday :(

Is my lettering still big?

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

That is really weird as it is really small on my screen and others have bigger lettering - why could this be?

Hot weather - are you really in the UK Stella lol We have had rain since Monday :(

Is my lettering still big?

Just checked back and the lettering on the last post is bigger than the one you could see as large - very odd.

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Your lettering is back to normal Sue! We have had rain since yesterday. It's the school holidays so the quicker we get back to school the better x x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users