Photo

Incubation Temperatures Changing Sexes..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Is this always 100% correct that the varied temps will give you different sexes or is it just a way of making it more likely ?

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hi Mark,
I think you have more or less answered your own question. It is not always 100% certain that the varied temperatures will produce different sexes but it is more likely. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks freddy, I'm wanting over the next few years to buy 3 females or maybe re-home some for splat, I do want to breed eventually and I thought i got hatchlings it would be ideal because they can live separately for 10 years or so first to get bigger and mature then I think I'll be in a better mindset for this :D

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

The temp has to be right at the time sex is determined within the egg to be sure. If you just keep temps steady throughout, you will always get a few males at higher temps but it is rare to get females when incubated at 29 degrees, almost all are male at that temp ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users