• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Are these suitable for feeding to tortoise?

4JCvygc.jpg

psSjhN3.jpg

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

hi mobile.

it look's like ragwort to me, which can not be fed as it's highly toxic.

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

I agree Mobile.... So it's back to the drawing board x x hugs x x

#4 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

So far the only edible weeds I have been able to find are dandelion, hoary plantain and white clover and I believe that white clover should only be given in moderation. I'll keep on searching :)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

The plantain is excellent tort food, much better than the dandies!!! I found some dead nettle plants on my last weed walk... And there are also bits of geranium...
Have you checked out garden plants your torts can eat.... Mine love hollyhocks.... Though I have to save a plant out of their reach to flower, as they love the flowers.... And evening primrose.... Geraniums, forget me nots, campanula, x x x hugs x x

#6 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

I seen something that looked like nettles on my last walk. How do I distinguish dead nettle from stinging nettle? I will try to get some hollyhocks. I have got viola, pansies and campanula but she's not that interested.

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Dead nettle had the little white flowers on (that you can suck the sweet nectar from! ;) ) You'll soon know it if you try and pick stinging nettles! :rofl:

Here are a couple of picks to tell the difference:

Attached Files

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

My two love shepherds purse and sow thistle. There's another two to add to your list that are abundant at the moment. :)

Attached Files

#9 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

I've been looking out for sow thistle, as that's an easy one to identify, but not spotted any yet. Will have to wait for the nettles to flower before I can be sure it's not stinging nettle, either that or risk getting stung - which makes me itch like crazy!

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

The dead nettles are flowering now.... The stinging type are still stinging!!! If you find the dead type and pull a root out... Which is usually really easy.... Plant it in your garden, it will spread like mint and one day you will be cursing this post :-))) x x x hugs x x

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weeds, id, identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users